Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands Self employed owner at All Better Appliance
41736587

my disherwasher has a stainless steel inside. it has developed

my disherwasher has a stainless steel inside. it has developed a white film inside. i think it was after i washed a aluminum stove buner pan , also the plastic glasses are coming out with a film. what will clear this up.

Repairman1981 :

The fastest most effective thing is a product called dishwasher magic (sold in most grocery stores) .... you can use white vinegar with some success though it might take 2-3 washes to achieve the same level of clean

Repairman1981 :

I have used and sell dishwasher magic off the truck daily so I can vouch for it's effectiveness. It won't clean everything 100% but it will definitly improve it. Before this product existed I recommended white vinegar ... it works but the dishwasher magic works MUCH better

Repairman1981 :

If your concerned about the environment or going "green" you can use a product called lemi shine (it's a citric acid based product) it's somewhere between the vinegar and the dishwasher magic as far as effectiveness

Customer:

i tried the vinegar

Repairman1981 :

yeah you might have to do a few washes with the vinegar. It should eventually work, but it's just not the strong

Customer:

what was that magic called again

Repairman1981 :

Remember if your getting it off on your dishes there is a LOT of buildup in there

Repairman1981 :

Dishwasher Magic

Repairman1981 :

I can send you an amazon link if you like, but it's available at your local grocery so no real need to order online

Customer:

why did it only happen after cleaning the aluminum

Repairman1981 :

It probably stripped the outer layer of the pan or the detergent reacted with the pan. I have seen the detergent discolor black metal pans, aluminum pans etc .... all depends on the molecular composition of the metal and the chemicals in the detergent

Customer:

ok i will try the dishwasher magic thank you

Repairman1981 :

no problem .... lemme know if that doesn't do it. If it doesn't report back with a picture of the residue. Thanks!