John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Freezer and Fridge to warm. GE Profile 1996. Freezer 10deg

Freezer and Fridge to warm. GE Profile 1996. Freezer 10deg Fridge 50deg. I suspect condenser fan. It was not running until I spun it with my finger. I have not taken apart the freezer back to look for ice. I hear the compressor running. The fan behind the ice maker is blowing cold air. Model TPX24YABS. Any suggestions.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hi I,m John I will help you with the fridge problem.
When you pushed the fan blade with your finger did it keep going and did the freezer get colder after you cleaned the coils by the compressor ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John.
The fan kept running. I have noticed any difference in freezer temp.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
When did you clean the coils at got the condenser fan motor going ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About two hours ago.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
It will take a few more hours for the freezer to get colder , the fan motor has to be replaced if you had to stat it with your fingers,the part number is XXXXX the price at Appliance zone is the cheapest at $ 109.00 .
If you require more assistance let me know please .
A rating of three or more will credit me for helping with the problem .
WR60X187 Refrigerator Condenser Fan Motor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will the compressor actually cool with a bad or intermittent condenser fan unit?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
No it wont, the fan motor has to keep going , what you can do till you get the motor replaced is use your house fan and aim it at the coils and the compressor this will work till the motor is replaced .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i understand the condenser fan unit needs to be replaces
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Yes it has to be replaced, usually when you have to help it start the RPMs are slower because of a bad bearing .
Replacing the motor will fix the problem .
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.