Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

My whirlpool dishwasher is emptying but leaving about half

Customer Question

My whirlpool dishwasher is emptying but leaving about half an inch of water in the bottom of the sump area and then alarming. Is the alarm because it is not fully empty or is it because the water inlet valve is not letting water in?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Whirlpool service tech and I can help you.

Jon :

If your dishwasher is leaving and inch or so of water left after a cycle then we can check a few simple things to see if the drain hose or drain motor is the problem.

Jon :

And if you are getting any error code or flashing lights because of that we can take a look at that as well.

Jon :

as far as for the machine not filling and possibly giving an error code for that, you can easily check if the machine is filling with water or not. Just cancel the current cycle, if still in one now, by hitting the cancel button until no lights are displayed in the control pad and the machine will go through a quick drain cycle and reset. After the machine is empty from any water start a new cycle and hit the start button. The machine may go through a quick ten second drain then should fill with new water after a minute.

Jon :

If the machine doesn't fill with any water after a few minutes and gives the error code in the display or has lights flashing then please let me know.

Jon :

if it starts to fill then let it go and check to see that it has filled completely and starts to wash in a wash cycle.

Jon :

if no fill, please open the door and look inside the dish. on either the bottom right or left side of the dishwasher on the inside you will see a greyish dome. lift it up slightly. About and inch no more, you should here a click. If you hear it that is good. That is the float switch.

Jon :

and the float switch will float up when the water is filling up the dishwasher. and when it reaches a certain level the switch will activate telling the computer it has filled up with the appropriate amount of water. It helps so that dishwasher doesnt overfill.

Jon :

but if the switch is stuck or damaged and can not be raised up or down, the computer will think the machine is going to over fill and not fill at all.

Jon :

Sometimes this will give you a no fill or give the error code you are speaking about now.

Jon :

Now, if the machine fills fine but will still always leave a little bit of water left over from the drain, like a few inches at the bottom, then please first look to see that the drain hose is installed properly under the sink. Or if the drain goes into a garbage disposal please check to see that the disposal is not clogged.

Jon :

I get a lot of complaints about how a dishwasher is not draining and it ends up being an improper drain hookup or installation problem. and the water that is supposed to drain out of the machine ends up backing up into the machine.

Jon :

it can be easily fixed and is cheap as well. so please get back to here when you have a minute to work on this and I will help you more.

Jon :

thanks

Customer: The machine fails to start filling after the initial drain and the alarm light <
Customer: Starts to flash within about 20 seconds of the drain down fi
Customer: Finishing. No sign of a grey dome containing the water control anywhere within the machine. Does the fact that it is an integrated appliance affect where the controls etc are?
Jon :

No it doesnt matter that this machine has integrated controls. on almost all machines like this there is a small float switch on the machine. but now that you are saying it doesnt even fill at all after the drain I would like for you to check the power to the water valve solenoid to make sure it is getting full voltage.

Jon :

this way we will know if the control is good and will know if the float is bad.

Jon :

if you have a meter please remove the lower kick plate just under the door on the outside of the front of the machine. then remove the wired connection to the water valve. there should only be one connection to the water valve.

Jon :

remove the connector from the water valve and stick the leads from your meter to the connections. one on either end of the connector that would have gone onto the solenoid of the water valve. then close the door and set a new regular cycle and hit start and close the door.

Jon :

again, it will go through a quick drain cycle for about a minute or so then it would call for water to fill the machine. so wait about that time and keep an eye on your meter to see what the voltage is to the water valve.

Jon :

If you have full 110 volts then you are getting power from the control board to the water valve and it shoudl fill with water. If it is not filling with water and you still have full voltage then you either have a bad water valve or the water supply is turned off to the dishwasher.

Jon :

If you dont have full voltage to the water valve at time of a fill then you either have a bad main control board or float switch.

Jon :

to check the float switch, again, open the door to the dishwasher and look in the bottom of the tub. just under the lower wash arm you should see a roundish usually grey dome. pull up on the dome slightly, no more then an inch or so, and you should hear the clicking of the float switch. if you hear the clicking then again try the cycle again. if it still doesnt work then you have a bad main control board.

Jon :

if you have voltage and would like to check the water valve please first turn the water off to the dishwasher and remove the supply hose from the side of the water valve. keeps some towels handy because there will be some water that spills out from the supply line at first.

Jon :

with the supply line from the valve off take a look at the valve filters and screens. if they are really dirty and clogged with debris clean it out by flushing the screen with warm water. dont pull the screen out of the valve because it will be next to impossible to get it back in place.

Jon :

after cleaning it out again, run the dishwasher on a regular cycle and see if it fills. if it does then that was your problem. if not then you have a bad water valve.

Jon :

run those tests and get back to me here and let me know what you find. And please get back to me here with the full model number of the machine and I will get you the part info so you can order the part and install it yourself.

Jon :

If you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively below with ok service or better rating below this chat now. And if you have more questions at a later time please feel free to get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

Thanks again and I hope to hear back from you soon.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Dave,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Should you have more questions or have any other concerns please get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.