Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My washer will not drain. it has a sound of a motor getting

My washer will not drain. it has a sound of a motor getting power but not running. I have the back of the washer off. not sure what to look at
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

When you had to back off did you see this ? It's the drain pump, try removing the hoses and check for an obstruction. the problem is your door is locked correct ? you need to bail the water out before taking the hoses off or it will flood your laundry room. can you get the door open ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The door is locked and yes I do see that.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay basically this machine is a whirlpool even though it Amana by name, your front panel however is all one piece unlike the whirlpool duet where you can remove the bottom panel under the door and reach up to unlock the door. The best way to do this in yours is to remove the top. There are screws in the back take the screws out and remove the top. You will then need to reach down to the door latch assembly and pull the little ring on the bottom of the door lock. Make sure the machine is unplugged. You can see the ring in this picture on the right side, although in the machine it faces down so you will be pulling down on that ring, that will unlock the door. What you get the door unlocked you need to bail the water out as much is possible and get towels ready for the rest when you pull the hoses off,can you do that ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, I took everything a part. seems like there was some gook in it. I need to go pick my daughter up right now. when I get back i'll put it back together and see if it works. is there a time limit on this service?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
No there's no time limit on this at all, if you come back and it doesn't run correctly just reply back and we will continue from there, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I put everything back together. and still not draining and is still making a humming noise

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay , can you tell if the humming is comming from the drain pump ? can you feel it and see if its vibrating ? If it is it means the pump has failed.you will need to order and replace it. heres the link to order the pump. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drain-Pump/34001340/1185351?RCAID=1000065
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, thank you for the link. I just took the pump out again and this time I took it apart to look at the pump and there was a tooth pick stuck in the pump itself. so I'm running it again hopefully that does . again Thank you for your time

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay thats great ! it will probably run now ! Good job. thanks and best of luck . Bryan.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.