Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

frost is building up on the upper portion of my maytag side

frost is building up on the upper portion
of my maytag side by side refrigerator
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

bryanpaul52 :

good evening,can you get us the full model number ?

Customer:

363.50221000

bryanpaul52 :

okay perfect, this is a side by side according to the model number is XXXXX correct ?

Customer:

yes

bryanpaul52 :

okay is the frost in the freezer section or is it frosting up in the refrigeator?

Customer:

The frost is in the freezer section on the ice maker

bryanpaul52 :

just the ice maker or on the food also?

Customer:

just the ice maker and on the outlet for the ice

bryanpaul52 :

okay great ! is the flap closing tightly where the ice comes out ? take a flashlight and shine it up the dispenser and see if you can see light showing through the flap.

Customer:

the flap is open. I can see up into the frost.

bryanpaul52 :

okay thats the issue.the miost air from your home is sucked in through the dispenser and acumulates on the ice maker assembly. you nee to fix thye flap. can you see any broken peices in the flap assembly like number 67 on this diagram ?

Full Size Image

Customer:

No. It just looks like the black flap by the plastic

Customer:

is kind of curled up

bryanpaul52 :

okay this is curled up ?

Full Size Image

Customer:

no, it's the flaps on each side of the plastic tube that the water comes through

bryanpaul52 :

can you tell me what part on the diagram ? 70, 69, 73,71 ?

Customer:

it's really difficult to tell from the image. At this time, wouldn't you say I need to call a repair man or get a new refrigerator?

bryanpaul52 :

well you dont need a new refrigerator unless you want want LOL, a repair man is probably a good thing to do because these can be a nightmare to take apart and put together, the parts are cheap. the service call would probably run around $79.00 which is a heck of a ,lot cheaper than a new refrigerator.

Customer:

You are right. Thank you so much for your time and expert attention to my problem. Now that I know where the problem lies, I'll know what he's talking about.

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay , have a great night and please don't forget to rate me 3 or above so I get credit for helping you. thanks and best wishes, Bryan