Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have an LG refridgerator that was working fine, 4 yrs. old,

Customer Question

I have an LG refridgerator that was working fine, 4 yrs. old, and I came home from vacation and it was dead...no power. I called a tech., who looked at it and said it needed a new EBR unit in the back...I bought one on Ebay and put it and and 'nothing'. Any ideas on my next step? Not ready to buy a new one.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today. Do you have the full model number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

lg.......60st......I have the info detailed at home

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
can you get me that info later ?I need the full model number if you can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

lfc23760st

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay perfect. now you ordered the board from Ebay which for these is not a good idea because there not usually tested and are bad quite often.the first thing you need to check on that board is the fuse. graphicalso flip the board over and see if it looks like that fuse was replaced, these are soldered in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuse. Looks fine. On both..new and old

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay , have you checked for power going to the board ? usually when these boards go everything goes out, lights fans everything like its unplugged. I am a little concerned that you bought this on ebay however, a lot of people on ebay sell things they think are good but are not. you need to see if your getting power at the board. also check your plug. plug a lamp into it to make sure its not and electrical problem.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The outlet works....the tech said he would. Replace the control board...what can I try next? The board is brand new.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

do you have a volt meter ?if the boards new it must not be getting power for some reason. did the tech check for power to the board ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes..I don't have a volt meter....I thought he said power was getting to board.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
the only other electronic part I can find in this is the user interface. "the part that you use to turn the refrigeator on"

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
but this would have anything to do with the intereor lights not working. this is a conundrum. your getting power to it so the problem has to be after the board if the boards new. like a bad wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I checked the details again from the technician....It says he found the (old)control board bad.....I am not sure if that means power was getting to the board or not....I know he was going to replace the part...as I did.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay I understand, the thing is we need to know if power is actually getting to this board. Even if the board was bad and replaced with a brand-new board if the board is not getting power for some other reason then that would be year issue at this point. You need to verify power to the board. Can you get a voltmeter or do you know someone that has one? Let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will get a volt meter and get back to you-thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay I will be here most of the day. I do have to step out for about two hours around 11 but will be back after lunch. Thanks. We'll get the bottom of this. Talk then
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a volt meter
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay great ! on the picture of the board I sent you check for 120 volts to that fuse with the arrow. Just put the black lead from your meter to ground,( anywhere on the body of the refrigerator) and touch your red lead to the fuse. What the meter on voltage you should get 120 Volts. Let me know if you do.