Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

I have a Whirlpool Thin Twin model YLTE5243DQ6. I have managed

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Thin Twin model YLTE5243DQ6.
I have managed to open the control panel but I'm unable to close it and have the latch hold it closed.
I understand there's a spring mechanism but not sure how I can get the latches in the correct position for the panel to stick. I've tried pushing the control panel and pulling on the screw attached to the latch/spring but unable to latch it closed.

Please help. Thank you
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

Hello

Customer:

Hi

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Whirlpool service tech and I can help you today.

Customer:

Great. Thanks for your time.

Jon :

Please allow me two minutes to bring up the diagrams for your model washer/ dryer.

Jon :

be right back.

Jon :

You are very welcome, that is what I am here for.

Jon :

Ok. Got it.

Jon :

This is the common model. Just wanted to be sure.

Customer:

Ok

Jon :

Ok. so have you removed the tension clip that is under the left and right side of the control? and the retaining clip that the tension clip locks into behind the control? from your description it sounded like you had gone ahead and removed some thing.

Jon :

or did you just have trouble getting it held back in place and just kind of hangs lower?

Customer:

So there's two black metal latches that's screwed on to a spring

Customer:

and I'm not able to position those and have the panel latch back on to whatever they're to be held to

Jon :

yes. that is correct

Customer:

and in the process, i unscrewed it completely so I'm not sure in which position the latch is to be in in order for it to close

Jon :

ok so you had the control off. but you didnt remove anything or have everything back the way it was, correct? just want to make sure you didnt remove the retaining clips. it is very important they be on the control panel housing

Jon :

let me get you a diagram so you can see what I am talking about and how the latches should be on the housing. be right back.

Customer:

i still have the clips, but not sure how they're to be positioned

Customer:

ok.

Jon :

clcik on the image above. this is an exploded view diagram of the control area in your machine.

Jon :

You will see the tension clip, what is actually a screw of sorts as diagram part number 15.

Customer:

yup i have those

Jon :

you have to pull that part with a needle nose pliers down, on both sides to release the tension to get the clip back in place so the control will fit back onto the retaining clips properly.

Jon :

do you see what I am referring to?

Jon :

OK. good. But are you saying that those clips are off the machine and the control?

Jon :

or are they still on?

Customer:

i've screwed them back on

Jon :

ok. good. and the retaining clips?

Customer:

I'm not sure what position they need to be in

Customer:

it seems like if i pull hard enough on the tension clips, the latches should fall into the control panel?

Customer:

but can't get it to fall into place

Jon :

when you pull the tension clip straight down and push the control panel back into the machine, the tension clip will fit into the retaining clip and lock the control in place.

Jon :

Make sure that you have the tesnion clip and retaining clip lined up or else they will not catch.

Jon :

it is a bit tricky and will take some jiggling around.

Customer:

by retaining clip you mean the two metal pieces?

Customer:

#31?

Jon :

yes. that is correct. i believe they are called locking controls. but it is the part.

Jon :

you have to pull down on the part number 15 and push the whole control panel back so that it will line up to 31 and then release 15. it will fit into the 31 and lock the console into place.

Customer:

is #31 supposed to be secured to the dryer?

Jon :

if 31 is loose at all or if 15 is loose at all the clips will not line up properly and it will not lock into place so make sure that they are fit into the console correctly and tightly. then try it out.

Jon :

yes. it is supposed to secured to the dryer cabinet. on the left and right sides. it stays fixed to the dryer when the console is released and folded down.

Jon :

that is why you will need to pull down on 15 when trying to push the console back into place. this way the console will snap and fit into place.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

so #31 has to fit in between that "stump" at the bottom

Jon :

ok. you have the earlier older version.

Jon :

and on your machine 31 is fit inot and a part of the tension clip. that is actually what gives the tension. this way is actually easer to install and to fit the console back.

Jon :

ignore what I have typed above.

Jon :

all you need to do is keep everything the way you have it now, it is fit in correctly.

Jon :

just fold the console back up and set into place. but before setting into place pull down on 15 and fit the tension clip into the console housing.

Jon :

sometimes on your machine it helps to do one side at a time.

Jon :

so do the left first.

Customer:

the console housing?

Jon :

fold the console back up and with one hand hold the console to the dryer. then with other hand pull the part 15 down as much as you can. then as you are pulling down push the console in from the front to the back and you feel when they clip into place. just confirm by pulling slightly on the side you are fitting in. if it comes right off then you know you dont have it clipped in properly. if it gets held up a bit and doesnt let you pull that side of the console down, then you know it is clipped in properly

Customer:

ok i will try that

Jon :

please do and get back to me here if you have any other troubles.

Customer:

i sure will.

Jon :

i wish i could show you exactly what to do. it would be so much easier. but I am sorry i cant do that.

Jon :

just try it out and let me know how you do.

Customer:

okay. how do I pay you? first time using this

Jon :

if you feel that I have helped you please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat now. and if you have more questions please come back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

thanks

Jon :

below this chat on the same page you will see a green button or area where you can rate my performance. just click on one of the top three to positvely rate me. then i will get paid.

Jon :

thanks.

Customer:

i see.

Customer:

well thank you for your help. i will reach out if i need more assistance.

Customer:

thanks again!

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jon,

I've tried pulling down as far as I can, with maximum tension but the top end of the retaining clip that is loose does not fit within the slot to maintain the tension. Any ideas?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
JK,

If the clip si not fitting into place then i suggest taking the clips out and possibly bending them or fitting them back into place. sometimes that will reset the clip so it can properly go back into place.

If that doesnt work then I would say that either the clip or console is bent and needs to be either fixed or replaced.

Please try that and get back to me here if you need more help.

thanks.