Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a KitchenAid refrigerator, model number KSF26C6XYY,

Customer Question

I have a KitchenAid refrigerator, model number KSF26C6XYY, that is freezing the food in the refrigerator side. I have the digital temperature set at 45 degree (the maximum high the setting will let me go)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So there are two things that can cause this issue. You could have a bad thermistor (temperature sensor), or a faulty control board. I would replace the temperature sensor first which is mounted behind a little plastic cover on the right side wall of the refrigerator section. Below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE

If you continue to have problems, then the control board would need to be replaced.

This unit is a very new unit so if it's less than a year old, I'd call warranty because they'll fix the unit at no charge.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there a test to determine if the sensor is bad with an ohms meter? We purchased the unit at a warehouse sale. KitchenAid doesn't want to warranty it because someone removed the model and serial number tag before we purchased it. We don't know a way around that.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

There wouldn't be a way around that, the product should actually have never been sold if the model and serial were removed. But that being said, the sensor is hard to test to any accuracy unless it's completely shorted out. Your unit is only a few degrees off so there isn't really a test which will tell you how far off the temperature is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure I understand. The diagram and your information are different. The diagram looks like the freezer and I thought you stated that it is located on right side wall of the refrigerator section. I have what I might call curbs that wrap around the upper 3 walls in both the freezer and the refrigerator. Is it under one of those and if so which one?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So the problem is that the same thermistor is used on several places inside the refrigerator and freezer (there are 4 total for different functions). The part is only saved under 1 diagram so when you click on the part you need it just brings up the one diagram which apparently is the freezer for this part. But to be clear, part 9 in the picture below is the thermistor you're replacing and it's inside part 14 the cover.

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Now that I know where it is, I see that I have had a very large bag of carrots in front of that sensor. Would that cause the part to malfunction and if so will moving the carrots make the sensor function properly or do I need to do something to make it work properly?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
It's possible if air can't get to the sensor, but removing the bag and giving it 24 hours is really the only way to know. You may still need to replace the sensor.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank You very much I will wait and hope that all is OK now

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
no problem and I wish you only the best.