Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Hello! Got an unresponsive 665.17572202 Kenmore Elite dishwasher

Hello! Got an unresponsive 665.17572202 Kenmore Elite dishwasher with a blinking Normal light. Just replaced the heating element and the control board it came with, and for 2 days the dishwasher worked great. The interesting thing is that the blinking Normal light seems to reset itself in 12-24 hours, and then the dishwasher is good for another wash, whereupon the blinking light returns and the dishwasher becomes unresponsive. I checked the overfill protection float, which seems to work fine. None of the hoses look kinked. Water flow in and out seems normal. Any suggestions for further troubleshooting?
Thanks in advance, Michael.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! How many times does it flash in between pauses?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi:

It just keeps flashing - no pauses. At least, I counted 25 flashes before assuming there are no pauses.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Is it a slow or fast flash?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Seems like one-second intervals, or very close to it.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Does the door seem to be latched well? Do you have a meter to test with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Never had any problems with the door (which of course does not mean that there are no problems now). Standing by with multimeter.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
There are screws along the top edge of the inner door panel and the next one down on each side that will need to be removed. That will allow the control panel to be pulled free to access the door switches. Inspect the one that has the black wires going to it. Is the switch body melted or disfigured? Are the wire terminals discolored? Make sure you turn the power to the machine off at the breaker!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm on it. Give me a few minutes.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You bet, take your time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I assume we're talking about the roughly rectangular black switch, generally in the middle of the door, with a brown lead and a black/white lead? If so, there seems to be nothing unusual there. There is also an off-white rectangular solid with the word "microtemp" attached to the edge of the control circuit board, with a black and a black/white lead. (It is the original, since none came with the new control board that was in the heating element kit.) Again, no unusual discoloration or evidence of high temperature.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, can you test the switches for continuity with at least one wire removed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The white one reads very close to zero ohms (one wire removed). The black one (both leads removed) reads practically infinity, but when I depress the little white tab while measuring, it goes to zero, too.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The white one reads 0 without the tab being depressed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, but I don't see a tab anywhere on it, just a resistor-like thing underneath once it is decoupled from the edge of the control board. Are we talking about the same thing? The writing on its side is:

T-O-D

64AM1102 ANG2

MEXICO TF 098C

(NNN) NNN-NNNN 0328

And, as mentioned before, the word MICROTEMP is on top.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Oh, that is the thermal fuse. Okay, go ahead and put it back together and see if it will start a cycle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Stand by a tic.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Certainly, take your time...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nothing. Back to steady flashing of the Normal light.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Do any of the buttons respond to pushing at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Zip...

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, cut the power to the appliance. Use a hair dryer to heat the panel up until very warm while "massaging" the buttons. Be sure to get the panel very warm but not hot enough to damage the plastic. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did it for about a minute. When I flipped the circuit breaker on, the dishwasher came alive briefly, showing "2" (the drain cycle, I assume), but returned to the steady Normal flashing after about 5 seconds.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Great! You have a bad touch panel. What color is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

White.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The touch panel you need is pictured and available below. Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Touch Panel <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Rating my answer "OK Service" or better is the only way I receive credit for helping you. If you need additional help or clarification, please let me know. I will work to earn your highest rating! You may refer back to this question for as long as necessary after rating, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved.

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Thank you for your rating and generosity, it is greatly appreciated! If you have questions after receiving the part, please let me know!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Follow-on question, if I may. Before I install the new touch panel, is it possible that its failure was occasioned by something else, such as the installation of the new control board?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
No, moisture gets behind the push buttons and shorts out the contacts. That's why the heat and rubbing works to restore operation often times.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Let me know how it goes!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just installed the new touch pad and dishwasher is running fine. So far, so good! Many thanks again for your help. (Whew! These are expensive parts!)

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is great news, very well done! Now, can you imagine paying retail and a $100 or more service call charge?! It is almost less expensive just to replace the machine at that point!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You're absolutely right! I've begun to fix as much as I can myself (dishwasher, clothes washer and dryer, house, cars etc.) before calling for service. Again, many thanks, and over and out here.