Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My Whirpool washing machine Model# XXXXX Serial# XXXXX

My Whirpool washing machine Model# XXXXX Serial# XXXXX when you push the start button the door will lock and the door lock light and the add a garment light will light up but the machine does not start the cycle. You can power it off but the add a garment light and the door lock light will continue to stay on. The only way you can get them to go off is to unplug the machine. I have replaced the pressure switch the door lock switch the CCU and also the main control. I have tested the motor according to the service manual a long with the water inlet switches and that pump to pump the water out they all test okay what in the world could be wrong with this thing?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Any error codes being displayed? Any clicking noises from the LF corner, near the top?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I checked for codes there aren't any I don't hear any clicking either.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
What part numbers of the controls did you replace, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

CCU part # XXXXX & W10212765 main control

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, on the side of the CCU is a wire connector labeled MI3. Remove that connector and then plug the machine back in and start a cycle. Does the behavior change, especially the garment light remaining on when you cancel the cycle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

nothing changes

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The garment light stays on as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes the add a garment light stays on as well as the door lock light.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
This is an odd problem and I cannot determine what you have going on. I am going to open the question for others to see.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am very baffled by it as well I am at a loss I've checked all the wiring to make sure that there aren't any brocken wires but every thing is in great condition the machine is only 1 1/2 years old I hope that we can figure this out.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

At that age, I would call Whirlpool immediately as they will likely concession the repair! This is new enough that it will likely fall under the time frame for help as a goodwill gesture. However, I would not delay, call them first thing tomorrow!

I do suspect it is an issue in the main CCU, though. There is not much else it can be. If they don't concession it, please let me know and we can proceed.

1-800-235-1301

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is the 800 number for whirpool? And should I rate to finish or what?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That number is XXXXX Whirlpool and rating is up to you. You are certainly welcome to wait until we get to a conclusion or if you do rate now, you can ask as many follow up question as necessary at no additional charge for as long as it takes to get you taken care of!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kelly I just went back upstairs and the wasshing machine is chirping and is flashing a code 16 I looked in the service manual and didn't see any code 16 do you know what that means?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is not an error code but sounds like a time remaining. Was the drain pump running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't belive so I will double check though

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the drain pump is not running and I did notice that the add a garment light is out now

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, also is that MI3 connector plugged back in or out? If plugged back in, unplug the machine and remove that connector. Leave it out and plug the machine back in and see if it will do anything different.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was unplugged when I heard it beeping in the laundry room then I plugged it back it to see if anything would change but nothing happened. So I unplugged the machine and had that MI3 connector unplugged and it did the same thing that it did the first time the door locked and the add a garment light came on and nothing I suppose if I let it sit maybe it will do something again.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so it is changing when the MI3 plug is out, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just went back upstair and again the add a garment light went out and the wash light is flashing a code 16 with the MI3 plug out yes

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Great! That MI3 plug is what connects the MCU, or Motor Control Unit, with the main control. When that MCU shorts out, it can do some very weird things to the control. I believe that control is at fault. The motor control for your model is your pictured and available below. It is accessed by removing the rear access panel of the washer. I believe that will solve your washer trouble! Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Motor Control <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Rating my answer "OK Service" or better is the only way I receive credit for helping you. If you need additional help or clarification, please let me know. I will work to earn your highest rating! You may refer back to this question for as long as necessary after rating, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved.

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the help I finally got the part and it works good. Thanks again Glen

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is awesome! Thank you so much for the update, I appreciate that very much. Have a great weekend!