The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

Maytag gas dryer Model LDG8706AAE - takes 3 to 4 hours to dry

Maytag gas dryer Model LDG8706AAE - takes 3 to 4 hours to dry a load it used to do in less than an hour, dryer top is lukewarm to the touch, in autodry or time dry. Exhaust duct is clean. Senser bar in drum appears to be working because 1. cleanning it did not change anything, and 2. the moisture monitor flashes a lot when the drum is turning with wet clothings in. I think something is keeping the temperature low: a faulty high temperature switch, control board, gas valve or what? How to zero in on the real trouble maker? Please help.

Hi, Frank. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance. You may have a bad heating system.

Please stand by and I will get you the diagnostics to help you determine what is at fault. Thank you.

Okay. What you need to do is observe the flame as the unit operates. To do that remove the small louvered vent on the lower right back of the unit (facing the back). See if the flame remains on steady for at least 3 or 4 minuets after you start it. If the flame goes out after about a minuet and does not trey to restart you have a bad coil on the gas valve. You will want to replace both though.
If the flame goes out soon after it starts and then restarts over and over you have a bad radiant flame sensor. If the controls do not receive the proper signal from the sensor it thinks that the flame did not ignite and shuts off the gas for a short period and then goes through the restart procedure again.
Parts for your unit are common and should be available localy.
Please let me know if you need anything else right now.

If not please select a positive rating at this time. You may ask as many followup questions as you like after rating my service at no additional charge.
Thank you.

!!IMPORTANT!! Before you use the bad or poor rating, ask me why you shouldn't!!