Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Recently our dishwasher (model # XXXXX) takes much longer

Customer Question

Recently our dishwasher (model # XXXXX) takes much longer to finish its cycle, seems to work ok. On the regular wash cycle it showed it would take 142 minuntes, and it took over an extra hour to finish, over 200 minutes. It does the same thing on the Auto setting too. Any ideas??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Can you reject that model number? i It seems to be coming up a

.microwave . open the door. and near the top on the side there is a tag with the model number on it, . can you check that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, SHX57C05UC/31. Just noticed its still running, started it almost 4 hours ago, shows 1 minute left, still has soap suds in the bottom and still washing.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay can you do me a favor, open the door and tell me how much water not suds but water is in the bottom of this? In inches if you can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

about 1/2 inch if you measure on the edges

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Okay I understand now, take about one to 1 1/2 gallons of water and poured in the machine, close the door and start it. See if she starts to wash and then drains out the water. You do not have enough water in this machine in that is most likely the issue. If this doesn't fill correctly the cycle will not finish. Try the water first and see what it does and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it sounds like it starts to drain, but then stops and keeps washing

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay is actually washing? You can hear the spray arms moving in the water spraying around inside? Give it a few more minutes sometimes these will cycle back and forth and then finally go to drain. If you can after a few minutes if it doesn't start to drain open the door as fast as you can and see if the spray arms are spraying. We need to know whether this is in a flood mode or if it's actually washing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the arms were spinning, and its been running at least 5 minutes

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay does the water feel really hot? What I need to determine is if the water is actually heating. If the water is not heating the time will not advance, when you open the door is are a lot of steam like the water is really hot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no, room temp

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay that's what I thought, you have a bad heater or on some of these the boards burn with the heater connector is and sometimes you can re-solder it if you're lucky. " Not all models have the bad solder joints" here is the heater assembly, you will need to test that for continuity to see if this failed, in order to do that you will need to remove the dishwasher from under the counter and take the side panel off to get to it"right side" also the board is inside your door. Remove and inspect the board also. If you see any burn marks on any of the solder joints than that is the issue try to re-solder. I hope this helps, like I said if the water does not heat the machine will not advance, thank and best wishes , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok , thanks. Is there a ways to stop it, so it can pump the water out ?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
When you open the door does it stay running? If so this may be stuck in flood mode. I think I mentioned that before, I'm not sure there's a way to get the machine to pump the water out unless this has a cancel drain button on it if it does try that. If not you will need to use a cup or something to get most of the water out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX noticed that it does, just never used it. Don't suppose you know if they make dishwashers that are a little shorter? I have to chisel out the saltilo when ever we have to remove it, and its already been fixed once, ugh.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Oh wow ! Did they put a floor in above the subfloor I've seen 1000 times and you can get the dishwasher out past it ? Sorry to hear that, that is a pain. Good luck and well wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, guess we are done. I will look on line to see if they make shorter ones. Thanks for your help.

Phil

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Oh you're welcome, you may find something that's a little shorter but I'm not sure, sometimes it can take the feet out so it gives you an extra inch but most dishwashers are standard size however there are some that are shorter or at least you're able to remove the feet to make it fit better. I don't know how many times I've gone to a house to work on a dishwasher and find out they put two extra inches of flooring on top of the old floor and it's impossible to get the dishwasher out. What you may want to do is talk to people like in the appliance stores and see if they can give you some more information about dishwashers that have removable legs or are a little shorter than the one you have now. I'm sorry I hate to see you go through that. Very best wishes however and have a great day and thanks, Bryan