Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

washer wont drain completely in spin cycle

washer won't drain completely in spin cycle
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today.

Good afternoon, when you pull the hose out of the drain does it seem like the water is draining fast ? what I mean is can you pull the hose up just a bit so you can see the water come out into the drain and tell me if it is coming out at a good force ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

doesn't seem like water is draining out of the hose at all actually..

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay, is the tub spinning ? What I mean is does this seem to be going to spin/drain? Or does it stop when it gets to that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i was able to get the washer to do a spin cycle last night, however this morning, the machine is not responding to any of the wash, spin or rinse cycles.

(green lights show up as I spin dial, but when i push "start", nothing mechanical happens on the machine, and the green light I'm trying to select lights up the one next to it instead - seems kinda dead at this point...)

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Perfect I understand, what we can try is a motor board reset. On these machines there is no transmission everything is run by the motor and the motor has a board attached to the top of it. This board can sometimes scramble and trying a board reset will sometimes take care of it. unplug the machine for 1 minute.. Then plug the machine back in. Lift the lid and close it six times within 12 seconds. Make sure you lift the lid around 2 inches or so, this will reset the motor. After that sequence is complete try and reload then let me know if it starts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

attempted the process three times, just to make sure I had the timing and particulars correct and still no response, other than green lights changing as i turn the dial settings...

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay can you hear the door switch clicking when you open and shut it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there's no clicking sound at all. seems like this unit might have some kind of small plastic / magnetic strip type of sensor or something.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Yes the switch is magnetic, I'm wondering if your switch is bad, what I'm going to have you do next is remove the front panel and take a look at the motor. On the top of the motor there is electronic board, this board has a blinking light on top. Can you count the blanks and tell me how many? Here is a video showing you the GE washer codes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMEjN7BiGmI to remove the front panel take a putty knife and about 3 inches in from each side push the two clips in and pull out at the top of the panel, then just lifted off the bottom clips. The motor will be right straight in front of you in the middle of the machine. Let me know what codes blinking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

red light stays on for one second and off for one second, over and over...

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay give me a few minutes I'm going to see if I can pull up the technical sheets on this. It seems this is in the standby mode so give me a few minutes to look up the tech sheets and I'll be back in a little bit, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sounds good. you da man. :)

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay I've got all the codes up, according to what you telling me this is in the standard mode normal mode. I want you to watch this video and make sure you are trying the motor reset just like it shows in the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZKqpoVX3t4 if you cannot reset this the issue is most likely the motor which comes with the control and that's a lot of money so I don't know where you want to go with that but I can get you a link to the part if you need to order it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sadly the problem hasn't resolved itself. light is still blinking one second on and off. when i press the start button, there is a slight electrical hum i can hear, just nothing happens with machine mechanically speaking...

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Okay is there a way you can get the water out of this by hand? That hum you hear could be the drain pump that's jammed up or not working but the only way to tell is to get the water out and remove the pump, the pump is on the right side of the machine inside the cabinet. It's possible that pump is jammed up that's not draining which explains why it won't spin or run because these will not spin and less the drum is empty. Can you do that and let me know?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, its mostly emptied now

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay let me know when you have the pump out, get towels because there will still be water in the bottom of the tub where you can get to it, so get some towels ready to catch the rest of the water and take the hose off really easy to let the water, before pulling them completely off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

k, btw - that made the spin cycle work again (bailing out water) - it's just not draining the rest. gonna take pump out now..

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
aaaah, that's what I thought, most likely your pump is either bad or clogged, also check the hoses to make sure you haven't got a small sock or something stuck in one of the drain hoses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

was clogged with cotton / comforter filling. just pulled out clog and replaced pump and she seems to be running okay now. :) thanks again for all of your assistance! :))

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
That's great ! When you told me you heard a hum that gave me the clue to the pump. You may have another clawed before this is all said and done. If there's any more of that comforter filling in the washing machine somewhere under the tub it may get back into that pump and you may have another issue. So be aware that and you may want to do a few loads with the front off until you see if it runs okay, it's not a good idea to wash comforters in these machines also pillows and stuffed animals are very bad for these machines, please do not forget to rate me three or above so I get credit for helping you, have a great day and by the way great job ! Best wishes and thank you, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.