Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have an Ensignia washing machine. I had it on a cold water

Customer Question

I have an Ensignia washing machine. I had it on a cold water wash last night expecting it to cycle through as usual. I woke up this morning to find the water still in the machine and I cannot get the machine to continue to rinse and spin cycles that are left. What should I do??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today, this is a common issue on these machines. your lid switch has failed. Lid Switch Assembly 22003804 Main Product View To explain what I mean you know when you open your lid the machine stops spinning right ? well when the switch fails its the same thing. its a safety. you need to replace the lid switch. heres a link to order the part. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Lid-Switch-Assembly/22003804/1000853?modelNumber=MAV8557AWW?RCAID=1000065 this will fix the issue. thanks and best wishes, Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Bryan. So then it is not a problem with the timer or something, 'cause, if i remember correctly, clothes in a cold wash go into some sort of soak cycle after 'wash' and before 'rinse', and during that time you can kind of hear a ticking, like the soak is being timed. We did not hear the ticking last night so I corked the utility sink next to the washer to soak some items. This morning the sink was full of water and the washer never came out of the 'soak;. Does this change your answer? Should I have mentioned earlier?

.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
So you are saying the sink filled with water from the washer ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the utility sink has a hose that comes from the washer so it can drain out water after rinse cycle - it was hooked up that way always.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Am I still connected to you Bryan - I hope I can still get answers after I threw that rating in between replies.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay yes I'm still here.so it seemed to drain then ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I found the utility sink full to the top, but water still in the washer with the clothes.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay , sounds like the water valve in the washer may be dripping water also. let me take a look at that. be back in a few minutes. thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Anything yet Bryan?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well what I would like you to do is shut the water off going to the machine.let it sit and see if anymore water goes into the sink. seems strange to me.maybe what happened is it started and rained partially and then stop again after it filled , the switch still needs to be replaced however.it maybe contacting sometimes but not all the time. I think thats what happened. it kicked in once and drained then refilled but stopped again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bryan, you are a wizard! I didn't try to kick it just now, but I did place my fingers on the left side of the closed lid, set the dial to rinse and then gently pushed the closed lid to the right. It started spinning immediately. And so, you were exactly correct that I need a new lid switch! My husband will be so pleased I was able to get an answer today, a SUNDAY morning! Thanks so very much - another satisfied customer ProTech!

I am sorry I did not understand the rating system earlier - I only have the original $30 to spend this morning but would rate you now with an 'excellent'.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Thats great ! thank you so much, have a great Sunday ! best wishes, Bryan