Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Sharp microwave carousal unit model r-3a86. All was

Customer Question

I have a Sharp microwave carousal unit model r-3a86. All was working, when I decided to clean the whole unit with kitchen cleaning liquid that I sprayed on the unit. When I finished , and plugged the unit back in, the indicator window is showing a constant flashing 88:88.
What is the issue and way to solve this problem....????
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today.

good evening. did you spray the control keypad while cleaning this ?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
try this , press BOTH the "Stop/Clear" AND "Start" at the same time and see if the error clears.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I sprayed directly on key pad...!!! I tried to hit stop/clear and start but still same thing......88:88 flashing

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
oh okay thats not good unfortunately. there are two possibilities, 1 your key pad is shorted by the liquid, this can happen when you spray the key pad directly. and 2 you control board has shorted., this is bad because the parts are no longer available . theres one thing you can try and sometimes it works,unplug and take a hair dryer and warm the key pad. massage the keys with your fingers. try to dry out the keys,then plug it back in. see if the error goers away. other than that because the parts are no longer available replacing the microwave is the only thing left. sorry for the bad news. thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is it possible over time that the keys dry out, and why not...????

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes that is possible. I suggested a hair dryer to help it dry out faster , theres no guaranty however. I hope it does for you though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I noticed that the 88:88 flashing indicator seems to show that the left most "8" is brighter then the other 3 numbers. Could this be a fuse issue / problem..???? Can I still get a fuse for this unit...???

Please inform....Barry

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
It wont be a fuse, you definitely got the liquid inside the machine control. the only thing you can do is hope when it drys out it goes back to normal, I would unplug it until morning and see if works then. if the fuse was blown it wouldn't light up at all.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks for your help

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your very welcome, have a great day , Bryan