Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have top load washer that makes kind of a grinding, ratcheting

I have top load washer that makes kind of a grinding, ratcheting noise when in wash cycle. Also the clothes get wraped around the agitator. Whats up????

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Can you open the lid and look towards the back for the tag with the model number and get that to me ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I,m not at home so I don't have that info handy

Can you get that later ? I will watch for your reply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK

okay talk later , thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Model # XXXXX KAWS677Q0 the Q could be O was hard to tell

okay got it, give me a few to bring up the diagrams. when you fill this is the water level correct. ? what I mean is say a large load does it fill to the top ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

can you still start the machine ? you have the cabinet off correct ? reach in and turn the top of the agitator, does it spin both ways without catching the agitator dog gears ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Cannot start the machine and yes the agitator spins both ways

okay as far as the ratcheting noise you need to replace the agitator dogs. these will also take care of the clothes wrapping around the agitator. these control the top part of the agitator and draw the clothes up away from the bottom. Agitator Repair Kit 285811 Main Product View these are cheap around $20.00 @ http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Agitator-Repair-Kit/285811/2744?modelNumber=KAWS677EQ0 click here for a video on how to replace them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyAClCHmC0w thanks and best wishes, Bryan