Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Whirpool Duet washer and when the washer drum starts

I have a Whirpool Duet washer and when the washer drum starts to move it freezes or catches and then my washer just blinks. What could be causing this?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

is the noise a rattling noise like a pump ? or is it more of a bad bearing sound, kinda scraping or crunching sound ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It sounds like a loud vibrating groaning.

okay,its probably your drain pump. have you cleaned the pump trap lately ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does that cause the drum to freeze or catch?

yes , well it may seem like its catching but in reality the drum stops because of the pump not working correctly, try this go in the back and spin the drum by hand all the way around a few times, does it lock up ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No it does not freeze. It sounds like there is something small rolling in the drum. But I don't see anything in there. It locks up after it fills and starts to agitate. It only fills then it locks.

well like I said the drum will (lock up) as you described if the pump is clogged, watch this video and it shows you how to clean your pump trap.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I recently had surgery. So when my Son gets here I will have him try that.

Thank you for your help. Have a good day.

okay if you need more assistance just come back and reply, I'll be around off and on all day. thanks , Bryan