Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My Maytag Maxima front loading washer has water left in the

My Maytag Maxima front loading washer has water left in the rubber seal area after each wash. I have checked the hose and tried the rinse/drain and spin cycle. The water still remains. Is there a filter that might be clogged?

Thanks, Jean
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

There will always be "some" water in the bottom of the rubber door gasket seal. That isn't a problem, just a poor design. That being said, there are 4 holes right at the bottom of the seal whether the water gathers to drain "most" of the water out. Look at these holes and clean them out with a Q-tip if they are clogged with anything. Below is a picture of the gasket so you can see which holes I'm talking about. They are located directly on the bottom of the gasket.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Alrighty then! I just purchased this washer (and dryer) from neighbor who has golden retrievers. I am pulling enough fur out of those holes to stuff a pillow... Considering the amount of hair in these holes, should I be clearing out another filter as a precaution? Is there another under the panel in the front of washer? And I guess I should replace the drainage hose altogether? Yuck!!

Thanks so much, Jean

Aye, I would clean out the drain pump below the tub as well. There is a drain catch inside the washer that you will want to access and clean if you're getting this drain error. To access the drain catch, tip the machine backwards and lean it against the wall at a 45 degree angle or so. Remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel. The lower front panel will then pull down and off. There is a 3" diameter plastic twist cap directly under the tub mounted to the floor. This is your drain cap. Unscrew the cap and clear any debris inside the drain catch.