Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  15yrs experience
63955563

I have a Samsung RS2578SH refrigerator, and this morning, I

I have a Samsung RS2578SH refrigerator, and this morning, I noticed water dripping from the outside ice dispenser. The freezer temperature was flashing. I realized the freezer side wasn't freezing, but the fresh foods side was working fine. I tried to unplug and reboot, but all it did was change the freezer temp (I suspect it's the correct reading now at 59deg). I checked the top fuse to the freezer, and it was all connected. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you pull the ref. away from the wall and down the bottom in the back take the panel off and feel the compressor ?is it hot,warn, or cold? is it vibrating like its running ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Seems to be blowing air out, running and vibrating slightly.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
the compressor itself is vibrating or the whole refrigerator ? you may be feeling a vibration from the fans but thats not the compressor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I wouldn't say the whole refrigerator is vibrating, but I checked my other frig (this Samsung is my backup, in my utility room) and it's more still and silent than the broken one, but its a Jenn Air that we just got 3 weeks ago.

The strange part to me is that the fresh food side is working fine, no issues. We did move a month ago, and this Samsung frig was moved over from my old house, but it was working fine until last night/this morning.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay well do you think you can just check the compressor for me anyway or is that to hard to move ? if so could you possibly remove the back panel inside the freezer section and take a look at the coils behind it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I got back there, and if the compressor's the round black bulb, then it is vibrating and feels slightly warm, but it seems to be working as I can feel some cool coming off of it. The black tubes seems to be intact, not really sure what I'm looking for on those.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

sorry I had to go out my daughter broke down. I'll opt out and someone else will pick this up. thanks , Bryan

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you in your answer. Think about safety when doing repairs, electric, water, gas, ect.

Hello, sorry you are having trouble with your refrigerator.
Is it just the freezer which is not cooling, or the fridge too?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just the freezer, strangely the fresh goods section work fine. I opened the back to see the compressor like the last tech asked, and it was vibrating and slightly cold.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Yes if the fridge section is working, then the compressor is running ok. With the freezer door closed, peel back the door seal and see if you can hear the fan running inside. Please let me know....thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think I did as you asked and I can hear the fan motor running.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Ok, great. Please open the freezer and view the rear wall panel. Do you see heavy to light frost on that rear panel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no frost on the rear wall inside the panel, temp in the freezer now at 61

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If you take the cover off with the fan in it, this will expose the evaporator cool coil for the freezer. If the coil is partially frosted, or not frosted this will tell that there is a freon issue. This i can be only repaired by a certified technician. Refer to your owners manual to see if sealed system warranty is still in effect. If so, call the repair # XXXXX the manual. If the coil is completely frozen up, then replace the two sensors on the coil in the same manner that they were in. You can get the sensors at searpartsdirect.com, or your local appliance parts dealer. You can also try appliancepartspros.com as well. If you need further assistance, please let me know. If I was able to assist you, please give me a great rating for doing so. There is no extra charge to what you already paid to do this. It just helps my ratings......Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is the cover in the back of the frig? If so, I did that before for Protech (previous guy), but he never followed up on what I should do next or look for?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
No, this cover would be behind the rear inside cover of the freezer. This is a dual cool unit, there is a cooling coil in each section. We need to view the freezer coil to see what it looks like. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I am a novice and have no idea how how or where to this. I looked

at the back of the freezer but can see where to take off the cover.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Samsung-Parts/All-Products-Parts/Model-RS2578SHXAA0000/1482/0165000/50040099/00002?blt=06&prst=&shdMod=RS2578SHXAA0000

Here is a link to the sears website. You would need to remove #16, to see the cooling coil. If you feel this is more than you want to tackel, you may want to hire a tech to come out. I am thinking you have a freon issue on this unit, but was wanting to make sure by viewing it first. I is completely up to you. If you feel that I have assisted you already, please give me a great rating. If not, please let me know, and we can go further in diagnosis if you wish....Thanks
Jason, Home Appliance Tech
Experience: 15yrs experience