Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Maytag LSE1000 combo washer and dryer. It has touchpad

Customer Question

I have a Maytag LSE1000 combo washer and dryer. It has touchpad controls that appear to be working fine. The washer won't run. I have a maytag repair manual and thought the problem might be the drive motor relay, I replaced it, didn't help. I have line voltage coming to the relay and 18 to 24v on one of the smaller terminals that has the gray wires attached to it. I read the same voltage on the other small terminal with the yellow/black wire attached to it but the relay doesn't close for line voltage, stays open. The gray wires have voltage on them whether the machine is off or on wash or spin.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Have you checked the balance switch on this ? # XXXXX on this diagram .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I tripped it by hand and got a U error code in the display, so I turned it off and back on again to clear the code

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay when you had the front off did you happen to notice if there a fuse on the left side front (glass fuse) it doesn't show one but it may be there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

just looked didn't see one I have the 2 relays, float switch, lid lock, and balance switch

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
the lid lock is most likely the cause. have you tested that ? Lid Switch Assembly 206415 Main Product View
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it locks the lid when I turn it on and gives a L code if it is not closed completely. I looked at the schematics, I'm not very good at that, and it seemed that the yellow/black wire coming from the transformer should have voltage on it instead of the gray one and also it seems like there shouldn't be any voltage on either one when the machine is off, which it has voltage on the gray all the time.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay. tell me does this fill with water at the beginning of the cycle ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No the water valve doesn't work so I fill it manually with the supply hose and start the machine and pause it and refill to rinse

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
oh . Is there a reason why the valve isn't working ? no power to it or is the valve bad ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

valve is bad, I've used it manually for some time, year and a half or so

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Holly Cow ! LOL must be a pain. anyway I'm trying to download the entire manual for this wiring diagrams and tests. its directly from Maytag and for techs. you sound very knowledgeable and I think that would help. give me a bit. I'll be back .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is, for a long time I couldn't figure out how to get to the valve and then I went and bought the manual which helped me do some things but I'm no electrical whiz and then I didn't want to spend a hundred for a valve so I just put it off.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
sorry I had an emergency i had to go out. if you want we can pick this up in the morning. if not you can re list it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

in the morning is fine I've got to be gone early should be back around 10am if that works for you. Hope everything is ok

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I'm on if you want to continue. let me know, I'm going to make the file for the tech sheets.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I'm here. I've done continuity checks on the water level control, it's ok and I checked for continuity on the spin cycle on the reversing relay both of those were ok as well as the basic ohm reading for the relay. I was just reading up on a self diagnostic control test when I got your message

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay the relays are good as for as pulling in ? do you know if they are sending power through though. It takes a few minutes to download and get this tech sheet to you so please be patient, I'll be right back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the motor run relay doesn't appear to working correctly. I've checked the ohms they're about 620. I have constant voltage on the small terminal with the gray wires and I read the same voltage on the other small terminal with the yellow/black wire, but the relay doesn't close for the large terminals with the line voltage, and I tried two new ones yesterday but it made no difference

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I have opened the file thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay there are a lot of tests in that, try to follow the tests and see if you can trace the wiring and find the issue, its way to difficult to type this all out so thats why I sent the tech sheets. let me know if you see something you missed. also it tells you how to test voltages to the motor and other parts. check those.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks for the file it has some stuff I don't have. Thanks for spending time to help me

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your welcome, theres just so much to this that its easier to send you the factory tech sheets. let me know if you get to the bottom of your issue. thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well I found what it was, the connector at the back of the machine was partially connected just loose enough so that all the pins weren't making contact. when I wiggled it it started to work so I pushed on it hard and felt it click and it 's been working ever since. It started when I was trying to trace the yellow/black wire from the other small terminal on the motor run relay and couldn't find it coming up in the covered space between the washer and dryer. so if somebody has something similar in the future tell to be sure and check that connector at the back of the machine even if it looks like it's connected.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Oh Wow,thats fantastic ! great job. I'm sorry I couldn't have thought of that. there is so much and sometimes very difficult on line unfortunately. thanks so much ,and I will keep that in mind for the next time.although its rare it does happen. have a great day, well wishes, Bryan