Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

GE GSH22KGPA WW - No Cool. Noticed water on floor. Found

Customer Question

GE GSH22KGPA WW - No Cool. Noticed water on floor. Found freezer defrosted, ice machine bin thawed. Checked compressor coil and found to be very dirty. Cleaned. Restarted. Compressor coil fan came on after several minutes. Evaporator fan in freezer is running. Compressor does not appear to come on. Could this be a faulty compressor start relay? If so, how can I test the relay? If not, is there another possible issue other than a bad compressor?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

More likely than not, this is not a bad start relay. If the start relay was bad, the compressor would likely get very very hot. If the compressor isn't turning on at all and it's room temperature, the common problem with this model is that the relay on the main control board shorts out and stops sending power to the compressor. The main control board on the back of the refrigerator behind the 8" x 10" sheet metal panel will need to be ordered and replaced to fix thi sissue. Below is a link to the part you'll need to order for this model. If you have a multimeter, you can test power at the control board. There is one connection on the board with 3 larger gauge wires. The connections will say LINE COMP and DEF. If you test power from COMP to ground, you should have 120 volts when the compressor should be running. If you're not getting 120 volts to ground on that COMP wire, then you need to replace the control board for certain.

CLICK HERE for part

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. Tested voltages. Found 120v Line to Ground and 0v Comp to Ground. Is there any chance that there is a thermostat problem? If so, how would I test? (Replacing board would be easy, but I'd like to be sure that I'm aiming at the right part.)

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
This is not a thermostat problem. If a thermostat was bad---no fans would be running. You have confirmed that the control board is bad and it will need to be replaced. It's a very straight forward repair and all plug and play so it shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I'll get the board and replace. I looked at connections and it looks very straight forward. I'll ask follow-up if I run into anything confusing while replacing.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes of course. If you need anything else please just let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Everything worked out great. I got the new board through a dealer on Amazon and saved $74. ($95 at Amazon vs $169 at Repair Clinic.) I used the savings to get a new Ice Auger and a new Water Filter cartridge and I still spent less.

The replacement board is an upgraded version and it's not a complete no-brainer to swap. Although anyone with enough patience to get the old board out should have no trouble figuring out the new board's configuration.

Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and I'm glad you were able to find the board at an inexpensive price!. Have a great day.