The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

Why is my robot going crazy all of a sudden? Will not char

Why is my robot going crazy all of a sudden? Will not charge
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

Are you chargeing it with the wall charger, or the docking station, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

docking station

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

docking station

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX be patient. Im not a very fast typer.

Have a look atr the contacts on the roomba and tell me if there is any discoloration on them. The only thing that they should have on them is very fine scratches. Other than that they should be bright chrome. Let me know what you find.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

one appears to be a little bit dirty other than that it seems o.k.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They are not bright for sure, it is o.k. that you type slowly I do not understand this computer

Okay, Pat. This is a good thing then (the contacts being dirty not you on the computer).

Use an ink eraser and clean off the dirty contacts. Go ahead and do both. Also clean off the contacts on the docking station.

The contacts do not have very much force applied to them when the roomba docks. Even a slight layer of anything on the contacts can keep the unit from charging.

Give it at least 8 hours before you try it or let it operate. That will make sure that it gets a full charge.

After that fire it up and see if it performs as it should.

If it runs out of charge before completing its trip back to the docking station then that means that the battery has lost its ability to hold a complete charge and it will have to be replaced.

Please let me know if you need anything else right now.

If not please select a positive rating at this time. You may ask as many followup questions as you like after rating my service at no additional charge.
Thank you.

!!IMPORTANT!! Before you use the bad or poor rating, ask me why you shouldn't!!

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances
Did the roomba charge up, Pat?