Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a maytag Ensignia dryer model # XXXXX We cant

We have a maytag Ensignia dryer model # XXXXX We can't get it to turn on with the pull on knob. We have to keep pushing it in and pulling it out. Sometimes it turns on and other times it doesn't. When it turns on, it runs fine. We don't have our owners manual anymore. Do you know what could be wrong? And do you know approximately how much the part would be?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Which knob are you missing with to get the unit to start sometimes? The large knob on the right side of the control panel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is the knob I am talking about, but it is not missing. It is there, but when we pull it to start the dryer, sometimes the dryer will not start. If you push and pull it rapidly sometimes it will turn on. It is getting harder to get it to start. Do you know what could be wrong and how much it will cost?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So there is a contact inside this timer know that begins to fail over time. Unfortunately the timer behind this knob needs to be ordered and replaced to fix the issue. It's definitely not the cheapest part, but it's not too difficult to replace either. The part number is XXXXX but the part is about $120. Below is a link to the part you'd need to order and replace to fix the issue.

CLICK HERE for part

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do you get the knob off?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Just pull it. The knob should just pull off. If not then you need to get inside the control panel and push the knob in. Look on the back of the timer and there is a tiny plastic shaft that goes down the center of the knob shaft. Pry on this plastic shaft and pull it back. Hold the plastic shaft and then pull straight forward on the knob to remove the knob.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.