Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a ge washer mod # XXXXX It fill and drains

I have a ge washer mod # XXXXX It fill and drains but wont agitate after filling. It sounds like the motor is making a humming sound for about 5 seconds then stops. I tried to set to spin but it wont after draining.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you hear the motor humming for 5 seconds, that means it's overloading and cutting out. You need to remove the front panel to access the motor and belt. To access, use a putty knife and push on the two hidden metal spring clips that hold the top panel to the front panel. These clips are located in the crease between the top and front panel. If both clips are pushed back, the front panel will unclip and hinge forward and down so that you can access the belt under the motor. Turn the belt to make sure the transmission isn't locked up. If it's locked up, you'd need a new transmission. If the belt turns--you'll need a new motor. Neither are inexpensive to repair, but if both agitate and spin aren't working, those are the options you're down to since you know the motor is getting power which is why it makes a humming sound.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have opened up the front - checked several things before I contacted you, but wanted expert opinion ... so thank you.

When I move belt one way it just spins motor shaft, the other way spins the drum. When set to spin, it just continues to try and drain? The water level hose appears to be clear as far as I can see, and I hear the click when I blow in it, which tells me the water level switch seems ok. The motor only tries and hums on wash (agitate), no sound from motor after draining(spin cycle)? You think it is still the motor?

yes I do. Also, the water level switch wouldn't have anything to do with it not agitating if the motor hums.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, if I replace the motor should I replace the clutch also (while I have the hood up) .... could that have caused the motor malfunction or just wait until it goes out?

The clutch has no reason to be replaced unless you hear the motor running and the belt isnt moving yet the transmission isn't locked up.

I would just replace the motor if you wanted to get the unit back up and running and 5-10 years from now most likely the clutch might need to be replaced, but you can handle that then.