Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

I disconnected the buzzer alarm in my refrigerator by clipping

I disconnected the buzzer alarm in my refrigerator by clipping the red wire, but now that also cut off current to the light bulbs. Is it safe to bypass the buzzer and just connect that red wire to the single purple wire that splits off to the light bulbs instead?

photo here:

http://sovinteractive.mobi/Temp/lg-light-socket-assembly-6621jk2003b-ap4438935_01_l.jpg
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today :)

The picture you have sent is the bi metal by the looks of things, but in answer to your question yes it should be safe to bypass the buzzer.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button. If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news :)

Please also remember that if this repair is beyond your ability I have still done my job in answering - where the problem is and how to fix it, Please be fair and rate me "ok service" or above so that I my gain credit for my time and effort.

Thanks! and have a great day. :)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Mike, so it is safe to assume there is no risk of fire or anything with bypassing the buzzer and connecting the pink and purple wires directly?

Also, will the lights go out when i close the door or will they be on continuously?

No there is no risk if you bypass it and make sure the wires are insulated correctly. No basically all your doing is taking out the bimetal switch from the picture you sent me.

Thanks! and have a great day. :)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

you got it! i will rate the highest!

also, i will insulate.. electrical tape OK?

by the way, then if the pink (and now purple) are hot,

then what is the function of the blue wires? are they hot as well?

Yes looks like the pink is a hot, goes through the buzzer (switch) then feeds hots to the other parts.