Pitstop Appliance
Pitstop Appliance, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Knowledgeable in all brands and models of appliances with thousands of happy customers.
74052492

cannot get LF of my HE Whirpool Washer

Customer Question

cannot get LF of my HE Whirpool Washer
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Pitstop Appliance replied 1 year ago.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

When you mentioned you changed the broke hose, what exactly do you mean?

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

The LF error code means Long Fill.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Did you replace one of the fill hoses prior to the problem occurring?

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Please check to make sure that your water supply valve(s) at the wall are turned all the way open.

Customer :

water was coming out of the bottom of the washer, so we unplugged the washer and then got a replacement for the hose and replaced it

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Please check to make sure that your water supply valve(s) at the wall are turned all the way open. If they already are all the way open, then shut the water supply off at the wall- remove the hoses from the back of the machine and you will see little screens inside the valve on the machine that the water hoses screw onto.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Check to make sure that those screens are not blocked or clogged partially with dirt or gunk.

Customer :

are you there

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

When reattaching the hoses to the machine, make sure that you hook the hot and cold hoses in the proper position.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Yes, i am here.

Customer :

I will do that now

Customer :

it is all clean and water supply is turn on all the way

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Ok, then we are going to have to do some tests.

Customer :

'we have replaced this part 8540012/2

Customer :

ok

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

The first easy thing- check the drain hose where it goes into the wall to make sure it is not inserted too far down into the pipe in the house.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

It should only go in about 10 inches max.

Customer :

yea

Customer :

done

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

If it goes in to far, it can cause the unit to siphon water out which will confuse the computer

Customer :

ok

Customer :

it is filling up to much and not going to the cycle

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Too much? LF is long fill (meaning it is taking too long to fill, not overfill)

Customer :

it we put in on a small load it continue to fills without going to the cycle

Customer :

overfill is happening and the Lf is appearing on the washer

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Ok, so you are getting too much water, but the computer doesn't know that is happening.

Customer :

right

Customer :

so it just fills the washer and then over flows the water until it beeps and then says LF

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

That means the sensor that tells the computer how much water is inside the unit is faulty.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Are you comfortable replacing a part like that yourself?

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

There is no adjustment to be made. It will require service.

Customer :

we live in the Bahamas so we have to do it ourselves

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Ok, one moment and I will see if I can find that part # for you.

Customer :

ok

Customer :

I do need the part we have it already and have replace it

Customer :

but it is seems to still pump water out like alot

Customer :

the water is not cutting off

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

You replaced a leaking hose correct?

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Does the machine fill with water even when it is turned off?

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Or only when you try to run a cycle?

Customer :

when we try and run the cycle

Customer :

but when it is cut off the is sucks the water back but does not stop pulling water into the drum

Customer :

sucks

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

When you turn off the cycle, it drains the water out the drain hose, but still continues to fill at the same time?

Customer :

yea

Customer :

you got it now

Customer :

how do we fix that

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

While it is filling, unplug the unit and tell me if it still continues to fill with water once you pull the electric plug out of the wall.

Customer :

no it does suction back out of the machine but, lets the water out on the bottom and not back through the machine

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

I am having a difficult time understanding what you are meaning. I am trying my best though. :)

Customer :

How about this, we have a cycle going now that has the washer fill with water again. How do we get the water back out of the machine? it is in the middle of a cycle

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Some units will drain when you hit the cancel button. Sometimes the computer gets confused and you can cancel then put the unit into a drain & spin only cycle and that will drain the water.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

But based upon what I think you are saying is happening- the unit fills with too much water because the computer doesn't realize the water is there--AND that you said you replaced a hose-- I am attaching a picture. The part you replaced has another part that attaches to it with a smaller hose on it.

Customer :

ok I have another question for you, how cancel the washer we have power off the machine and now it is goes back to where it was in that cycle

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Full Size Image

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

It sounds as if your issue is related to that smaller hose connected to the part you took off either being kinked, blocked, disconnected, etc.

Customer :

that is on tight and correct

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Unless you have taken it off and blew through it, how do you know it is not clogged?

Customer :

my husband is doing while I am typing

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

That hose is what the pressure goes through to tell the computer how much water is in the machine.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

And since you replaced the part it connects to, that would make sense pointing towards it being the current issue.

Customer :

now we have found a hole in that

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Perfect. Fix the hole and the unit will work correctly based upon your symptoms.

Customer :

and then the hose along side the washer has a hole in it too

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

(the 'correct' way to fix it would be to replace the part) but since you are on an island, your husband may be able to repair it to function.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

How are you getting so many holes? Mice?

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Customer :

can you tell me what is f6 and e1

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

I don't have the tech guide for your exact unit. The same codes can mean different things for different units.

Customer :

ok

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Inside the washer there is a tech guide which will have the fault codes for your machine in it.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

It will also have test modes and wiring diagrams in it as well.

Customer :

ok

Customer :

Thank you for your help

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

If you are happy with my guidance, please rate me well.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Have a good day.