Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

my freezer is no longer holding zero. It want get colder than

my freezer is no longer holding zero. It want get colder than 16 and zero is recomended. What can I do?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The first thing you want to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Can you tell me what the silver coils behind this panel look like? Are they completely packed with frost? No frost? lightly frosted from top to bottom? Etc..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No frost.

Ok, pull the entire refrigerator out and remove the lower back panel BEHIND the refrigerator. Is the fan next to the compressor running? Touch the big black round compressor and is it blazing hot, warm, or room temperature?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The fan next to the compressor is running and the compressor id hot to the touch. You can touch it but can't keep your finger on it for more than a few seconds.

ok so that is a problem. This means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out. It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over. Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator. Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor. There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it. This is your overload relay. Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it. If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

Sometimes you can also just unplug the refrigerator for 3-4 hours and let everything cool down and the compressor will start working again. You can try that if you want as well.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Actually, I'm going back to your question about the coils inside the freezer. I did not understand these were inside and my wife was actually looking at something on the back side and calling it the coils. So, let me check the coils inside the freezer. I understand the comressor is hot and I know what to do now. Thanks! But I want to actually see those coils to see if they are frozen

ok sounds good
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, the coils are clean, dry, and free of ice until the very bottom 2 or 3 coils. Those are (were) covered in ice but are quickly thawing as I type.

OK so that's still going to run into the same problem with a possibility also of having a freon leak. But a freon leak wouldn't normally make the compressor really hot so I would think you're down to either a bad compressor or a bad overload relay.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there a trick to removing that box from the compressor?

Not really, just pull. Make sure you unplug the refrigerator first. And sometimes you can pry between the box and the compressor with a flat head screwdriver if it's stuck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, we got the cover off the side of the compressor but was not able to actually unplug either of the devises actually plugged in to the compressor. I tried to rattle the top one around which actually looks like it may be the relay. But it's not rattling or making any noise. It moves a little but I don't want to force it and end up with a broken down fridge. I mean our unit is actually working but not as good as it should. Anyway, we are going to let the thing cool down for the next couple of hours and the see what it does. If that don't work we will call in a repair man or just go get a new one! :( Thanks for your help.

alright well I'm sorry about the bad news but I do wish you only the best.