Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line

I have a Whirlpool extra large capacity 3 cycle dryer (probably

I have a Whirlpool extra large capacity 3 cycle dryer (probably 10-15 years old). It was working fine (heating and drying fine), Until last evening. I push the start button with the door close and nothing happens. When I turn the knob to the one hour cycle, I can hear the quiet knocking I normally hear with the door closed (as if something Is working.

I've had a company replacing ductwork last 3 days, who had discovered the duct was disconnected (evidently for some time). Photos showed a lot of lint. Wondered if the thermal fuse is blown (based on some research), or if the timing is coincidental and the dryer is just shot. Just wondered if, based on hourly cost if it's worth fixing, or if I should just replace the dryer. Thanks for your recommendations.

Hello from JA
I am so happy to help you today.
My name is Woody.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer.
It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you a negative with JA. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do.
This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction.
But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort.
Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley face click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

If it is a thermal or a thermostat they are around $30.00-$50.00 plus what ever the going labor rate is in your area .
but if you hear a motor running it may be a belt which is also around $40.00.
if you have more questions just ask .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your prompt reply. Based on those two likely issues, what would you guesstimate the time to repair something like that? Thank you.
both the thermostat and the belt can all be done in less then an hour.