Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

My Kenmore 22" bottom freezer refrigerator is not getting cold

My Kenmore 22" bottom freezer refrigerator is not getting cold in the fridge section. This happened once before. That time it took about a day and a half to start back up again. Is there a Thermostat in the top refrigerator section that may be going bad?
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today :)

Can you open the freezer door/drawer and look at the panel on the inside rear...Do you see any frost on that panel?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no frost and the freezer has been working great even when the refridgerator is warm

Ok in that case this will not be a thermostat problem, instead the problem will be with the damper door being stuck in the closed position, This is the little door that allows cold air to run from the freezer to the fridge, it's either stuck with ice or has failed.

graphic

The damper is part 18 on the schematic above and located inside the venting.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button. If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news :)

Please also remember that if this repair is beyond your ability I have still done my job in answering - where the problem is and how to fix it, Please be fair and rate me "ok service" or above so that I my gain credit for my time and effort.

Thanks! and have a great day. :)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would like to rate your service after I finish. That will most likely be tommorow. How can I make that happen.

I do believe your answer is correct, I just need to make sure.

Thanks

Ok thanks

Thanks! and have a great day. :)

Hi Brent,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you are still having a problem please feel free to come back for additional assistance.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Mike.

Turns out that the bottom (where the fan draws air from) appears to be iced up. I am assuming all I really need is to defrost it. Is that correct?

Yes that is correct, defrost the ice then you should be all set.

Thanks! and have a great day. :)