Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Purchased older home with Kenmore Electric Stove. I believe

Purchased older home with Kenmore Electric Stove. I believe the numbers are: XXXXXXXXXX and
5A273695Q
Very hard to read as I can no longer get on my knees----anyway,
wanted to CLEAN the oven using selfcleaner. I pulled the 'lock' lever out and it extended about 8 inches from stove top. Slid lever to the right. Door locked, unable to open.
Turned oven on 'CLEAN.' The red 'lock' light continues to blink and the 'oven' light does not come on. I double checked relocking and resetting clean twice. Still not heating and door light blinks. I unlocked the door, turned on the oven, set to 350o and the oven light turned on.
Any ideas? How hot does 'CLEAN' degrees get when working correctly? Turning oven to 550o for four hours, would that work???? Or do I just get nasty Oven Cleaner Spray and go that route? ugh!
This was so much easier when I was under 70! Thanks.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So I'm really sorry to hear about the problem you're having. It sounds like your door latch assembly has failed and doesn't sense that you've locked the door. If you wanted to, you can turn the oven up to 550 and leave it on for 4 hours and that will clean the oven quite well, but not as good as a normal clean cycle since clean normally runs at 650 degrees or so. That being said, I would probably try turning the oven on for 4 hours at 550 degrees and then turning it off. Give it an hour or so to cool down and see how clean the oven got. If it's not clean enough, then you might want to get Easy Off for Self Cleaning Ovens because there really isn't much else you can do but replace the latch assembly which would likely not be made for an oven this old anymore and even if it was, it would cost about $200 or so to have replaced.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX reply. I am pleased that you verified my suspicions. An expensive way to glean self-confidence but I am new to 'doing everything' around the house since my husband no longer is capable. Aging is not for those weak of constitution. I am satisfied with your help. sharon L

Not a problem and if there is anything else I can do to help you--please let me know.