Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

I cannot get the door open on my GE Profile Max Plus dishwaser.

Customer Question

I cannot get the door open on my GE Profile Max Plus dishwaser. How can get the door open?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is Mike, I will be assisting you with this problem today :)

This is going to be a tough cookie because when the latch fails as this one has there is no way to access the machine to pull it out or to access the latch, after many calls like this and allot of practice the only way to get it open is to shut the power off, Slide a butter knife in the gap above the handle then lever the clasp and pull hard on the door at the same time, It's going to take a while to get it right but it will pop open eventually when you hit the right spot :(

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button. If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news :)

Please also remember that if this repair is beyond your ability I have still done my job in answering - where the problem is and how to fix it, Please be fair and rate me "ok service" or above so that I my gain credit for my time and effort.

Thanks! and have a great day. :)

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I see you have rated me bad service, Was there something you did not understand or something I can clarify for you? I'm quite happy to continue to help you with this if there is something you dont understand.

Please also remember that if this repair is beyond your ability I have still done my job in answering your question.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
How about you ask me a question regarding something your not understanding and I can then continue to help you. Instead of hitting the rating button please hit continue and let me know what else I can do to change the rating?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear appliance guy: Not only was your information incorrect, I broke the actuator on the door of the dishwasher when I tried to follow your instructions. In fact, it was very simple to open the door and most newer dishwashers are easy to open, too.

Just for you own information, I am a mechanical engineer so this task was not too "complex" for me. I didn't look very closely at the mechanism before I went on-line and to see if there was some "trick" to this. Had I taken a flashlight and looked at how the unit worked I could have opened it with a pen knife! My bad.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Have a good day