Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

My GE refrigerator just stopped. I have a GE GSH22jfta WW. The

My GE refrigerator just stopped.

I have a GE GSH22jfta WW.

The ice maker stopped working years ago. I replaced the defrost heater last year.

Recently there were large amounts of ice buildup in the freezer. But it was still cooling properly. I checked the door seals and they were fine. There was very little ice build-up on the coils – but since had an extra factory defrost heater I replaced the heater anyway. Then I cleaned a lot of dust out of the various filters.

When I plugged the fridge back in it was (almost) dead. The inside lights work, but the LED front panel is blank. And the water dispenser doesn’t work. There is no noise or motion coming from the compressor, compressor fan, or water pump. Sometimes (not every time) I can hear one short click when I plug it in, but that’s it.

The board looks fine visually – there are no scorch marks and the fuse looks intact. The relay looks fine, but I haven’t checked with an Ohm meter yet. The power supply in the wall is working fine.

Any suggestions on next steps?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Where exactly was the frost? All over the food like a snow storm hit?

Is the refrigerator cooling?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The frost was all over the ice compartment - like a snow storm in part, but a glacier in others.

Now (after I replaced the defrost heater) it's dead. No cooling at all. Completely warm. No lights on the front panel. The compressor is room temperature and the fan is motionless. The only thing that is working are the inside light bulbs.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

Try this first, unplug the unit. Remove the kickplate in the front under the doors. I believe your model has screws at the ends of that panel. There should be a connector under there coming from the freezer door. Take a wire brush an old toothbrush or something and clean that connector up really good. Put it together and give it a try.
CLICK TO ENLARGE

graphic

If that did not work check the red and black wire at that connector for 12 volts dc. If you have no voltage replace the main control board. If you do have voltage replace the dispenser board.

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating so that I am compensated. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Thanks,
Barry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will try that now. Thanks.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome Michael, thank you for the opportunity. If you need anything give me a shout.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Connector was on top, not the bottom. It looked good, but in any case I cleaned it up.

Reading varied by 4 and 12VDC. Shopping for replacement dispenser board now.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

I understand Michael,

I am sorry its not shown on the diagrams where the connector is. Most are on the bottom. WR55X10561 is the part number, its off white in color.

Barry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Replaced dispenser board. No effect. Still just as dead as before.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

But you did have 12 volts at that connector? Look and see if there is a broken wire going into the hinge.

Barry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wires looked fine - like new. Volts varied between 4V and 12V (see above)

I can test for continuity between the hinge and the dispenser board connectors.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes check for continuity, if you have the voltage the board should be working.

Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Continuity was fine.

It WAS the main board in the end. I bought one and replaced it, and now the fridge is working again.