John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My GE Refrigerator sounds like a worn out motor boat today.

My GE Refrigerator sounds like a worn out motor boat today. A constant loud motor sound started yesterday. For several months the refrigerator has had randon loud occasional burps. The Model is PS123NGPA BB; the serial number is XXXXX

Question: No I call a repair man or shop for a new refrigerator?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hi I,m John I will help you with the motor problem .
Can you tell me where the noise is coming from the freezer or the back by the compressor please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think it is coming from the compressor. It just stopped one minute ago.

Presently everything is still frozen and cold.

Thanks for your help.

Susan

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Wait till it kicks back on and check to see if its from the fan motor by the compressor.
If the coils by the compressor are dusty it will cause the noise .
Let me know please .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The put put put sound has started again and is coming from the bottom of the refrigerator and freezer. It seems a bit louder in the refrigerator. I think it may be the fan.

Thanks for helping.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Its most likely the condenser fan motor next to the compressor .Its the number 650 in the breakdown , also clean the coils number 730 its very important those coils are kept clean especially if you have animals in the house .
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

John,

This is Peter, Susan's husband. I have pulled the panel off the back of the refrigerator and am examining the guts of this thing. It is clear that the thumping sound is coming from the round structure, part 725, on your diagram. I can modify and turn the sound off and on by giggling the part. Is that the compressor?

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Yes thats is the compressor ,if you can stop the noise by giggling the compressor check the four rubber mounts the compressor sits on .
You can try tightning down the nuts number 736 .
John, Home Appliance Technician