Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a GE washer Model WCVH6600HOGG. On high speed spin

I have a GE washer Model WCVH6600HOGG. On high speed spin it creates an awful bagging noise and spins at a tremendous rate of speed. When washing with the medium spin setting it will begin spinning out of control as if were in High speed. No noise is evident if it runs at the correct medium speed. What could be causing this noise and super high speed spin?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you run the washer without any clothes inside at all on high speed spin and will it still make the noise or is it silent?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I ran the spin cycle and when the highspeed spin out started half way through the cycle, it was the same. Very loud. Sounds like the whole thing is going to self-destruct.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Ok so this is a problem. It means that you have a broken tub support. There is a 3 leg inner basket support attached to the back of the inner basket. If one of the legs breaks, it will bang against the back of the tub if it spins fast enough to pull it away from the support arm. This is really the only thing that would cause the banging noise even if the tub is empty. Unfortunately this is a major issue because you can't just replace the support, you have to replace the entire inner basket which is a $700 repair if you have someone come out and replace the part.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is this a possible DIY fix, or would you consider this too difficult. Do you know the aprox. cost of the inner basket. Also, is there any way to verify that this is the correct evaluation? Thanks

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I guess that depends on how handy you are. If you work on cars and such, you might be able to do this yourself, but you'd likely need a technician for this job otherwise.

Running the washer with no clothes inside was what we did to verify that this is the correct evaluation so I guess I'm not sure what more you're looking to do because there isn't anything aside from taking it all apart.

The part itself is $400 and it would take the better part of a day to replace the part. The part number is XXXXX

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.