Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

GE oven broiler not working

I have a GE Spectra XL44 and the oven and broiler won't work rest of stove does. What part do I need to replace? It's Model # JGBP28BEA1CT

The likely problem here is the igniter, Set the broiler then look to see if the igniter glows, If it does not glow then pull it out and test it with a ohm meter, if as I suspect it reads open then it needs to be replaced.

If the igniter does glow then it's still likely bad, a good igniter will glow bright yellow to the point where you can’t look at it, if the igniter glows orange/yellow then it’s bad and not drawing enough amps to open the valve.

Click here to order the replacement igniter

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would the spark module need to be replaced or just igniter? Is that part for stove only?

No the igniters are completely separate from the spark module, two different ignition systems. If the stove is working it’s just the igniter.