Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Maytag refrigerator is not freezing. It is cold but not

My Maytag refrigerator is not freezing. It is cold but not freezing the food. I removed the back panel and found that the fan was broken and replaced it. However it is still not cold enough.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Which fan was broken exactly? There are two fans, one inside the freezer and one down by by the compressor. And what do you mean by "broken"?

Also, do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The fan inside the freezer was broken. I don't have access tothe freezer right now but it is only two or three years old and has a top freezer.

What do you mean by broken exactly? Was the fan just not running? Or was the blade broken?

Also, did you happen to see the frost build up on the silver evaporator coils below the fan? Do you remember what it looked like? Were they packed with frost? No frost at all? Lightly frosted from top to bottom? etc..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The fan was broken where it fights on the spindle. There was no frost on the coils but tot he right of the coils was a solid block of ice around a silver tube

OK so that solid block of ice is a problem. It means that your refrigerator is running in-efficient. That could be do to having a freon leak, or possibly a bad compressor. If you didn't thaw that ice out, try to thaw it out with a hair dryer and then see if that's enough to get the unit to freeze again. Another thing to check is to make sure the fan back down by the compressor is running to cool the compressor and clean the coils below the refrigerator in case they are packed with lint and dust causing the compressor to overheat slightly. If that doesn't work, you'd need a technician to come out and check the freon pressure because you either have a freon leak or a bad compressor that will need to be replaced.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.