Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Jenn Air French Door RefrigeratorJFC2089HES. It is

Customer Question

I have a Jenn Air French Door RefrigeratorJFC2089HES. It is in my vacation home which is primarily used in the summer. During a visit this weekend I found the refrigerator not working. Both refrigerator and freezer are warm. Clocks in the house were blinking,meaning the power was out at some time during the past several weeks
[email protected] XXX-XXX-XXXX (Mike)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is Kelly and I look forward to helping you! Do you recall the fan running in the freezer, even though the temperature was warm?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't remember hearing anything. The light was on and the bar on top would allow me to adjust the temperature but nothing happened

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Okay, how long did you see the lights on and the unit not cooling, more than about 30 minutes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes,more than 30 minutes. The refrigerator is in my vacation home approx.55 miles away. I won't be able to try what you tell me until this weekend

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
That's okay, I don't expect you will have to do much! That electronic control is very susceptible to voltage issues. However, it is almost always able to be reset. All you will likely need to do is unplug the refrigerator for about 15 minutes to allow the electronics to discharge and reset. If it does not, the control will need to be replaced, but I do not expect that to be the case. Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Rating my answer "OK Service" or better is the only way I receive credit for helping you. If you need additional help or clarification, please let me know. I will work to earn your highest rating! You may refer back to this question for as long as necessary after rating, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How do I get in touch with you if after I try what you have told me to do and it doesn't work?

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
You may simply save the URL to your favorites or come back through a link that has been sent to your email. There is never a charge for follow up questions!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Kelly,

If what you told me to do works I will definitely rate you excellent.If it doesn't work and you continue to help me I will still rate you excellent regardless if your information works as long as you don't abandon me

Thank you

mike

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
I promise to not abandon you. I pride myself on my rating, I assure you that will not happen.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Kelly,

Unfortuneately your suggestion did not work. I unplugged the refrigerator left it unplugged for 20-30 minutes and then plugged it back in and the refrigerator still will not get cold.

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Can you hear the compressor turning on or any fans blowing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Kelly,

Something is running. If it's the compressor it is very quiet. Could it be a fan??

mkk

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Yes, there is a fan in the freezer and one by the compressor. Any clicking or buzzing sounds that you can hear?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Kelly,

I did not hear any clicking or buzzing sounds.

mkk

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Okay, so the control is likely not providing power to the compressor. Since it did not come back to life with a power cycle, it was likely damaged during the power issue. Do you have a meter to test for power at the compressor?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Kelly,

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
I understand, thank you. The control is likely not providing power to the compressor. Since it did not come back to life with a power cycle, it was likely damaged during the power issue. Do you have a meter to test for power at the compressor?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Kelly,

If there is or is not power at the compressor the repair would be a job for a professional not a do it yourself repair.Corect??

mkk

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Not necessarily, either part that could be prohibiting the compressor from starting is pretty easy to replace. There is an electrical thermal overload protector that may have opened that is mounted to the side of the compressor or the main control board is not providing the power to the compressor. Either repair will require some electrical testing and mechanical disassembly, so if you are not comfortable with either, it may be time to call for service.