The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

I have a Samsung side by side refrigerator Rs275Acbp, it is

I have a Samsung side by side refrigerator Rs275Acbp, it is leaking water from vent in the refrigerator. vent is located behind vegie bin. I had service out, drain was not blocked in the cooling unit. not sure where water is coming from. Help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

I recall something about this from a tech update sheet. Please allow me about 15 minuets to see if i can find it again.

Thank you.

Okay. Other than the condensate drain, and the water fliter system, the only other possibility is the water cooling tank. These are not under pressure unless the dispenser is pressed for some cold water.

Access the back of the refrigerator section and remove the panel covering the water holding tank. Dry it off completely with some paper toewls or newsprint.

While observing the tank for leaks have someone operate the water dispenser continiously for at least a minuet or if no leak is apparent even more to be sure. You can put a finger partially over the dispenser nozzle to add more pressure to the system for a more vigirous test.

Some units use a coil of hose instead of a tank. Just be sure to dry inbetween as many of the coils as you can before starting the test.

Keep a close eye out for water coming from above as the filter may be the problem.

Please let me know if you need anything else right now.

If not please select a positive rating at this time. You may ask as many followup questions as you like after rating my service at no additional charge.
Thank you.

!!IMPORTANT!! Before you use the bad or poor rating, ask me why you shouldn't!!

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We have tried all that again, and the drain is not clogged. It is not leaking from the water tank. The water seems to be coming from around the vent, not through the vent. Could there be a leak around the drain in the cooling unit ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The cooling unit is the evaporator coils I referred to previously. It does not leak water. It shedes ice that forms on them during the refrigeration process when the defrost cycle runs in the form of water. If something is causing the water to splash on the vent you may be seeing that, but for the most part it just trickles down the evaporator fins, drops into the catch tray, and then down the condensate drain line.

There are only two things that have water associated with them in the refrigerator section. The cold water storage, delivery, and filter system, and the melted condensate from the evaporator coils.

There may be a little condensation on the back cover, but that would be neglegible. You might see a couple drops but nothing as noticable as you refer to.