Pitstop Appliance
Pitstop Appliance, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Knowledgeable in all brands and models of appliances with thousands of happy customers.
74052492

Hi - my Miele Optima dishwasher was beeping and flashing the

Hi - my Miele Optima dishwasher was beeping and flashing the F70 error code. Having read other posts, I note the advice is to pull the dishwasher out from under the counter and tip it forward 45 degrees to let the water drain. Our dishwasher is built in and I'm concerned that we will damage our countertop trying to pull is out from underneath. Is that the only way to get the water out? We have already shut off power to the dishwasher.

Thanks...
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Pitstop Appliance replied 1 year ago.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Under the door there is a kickplate that is screwed on.

Customer:

do you mean the plate that is perpendicular to the floor?

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

If you removed this cover, take a flashlight and you can see into the bottom of the machine. It is not a large opening, but is enough that you can stick in something to suck the water out, or if you want to use a bunch of paper towels to soak up the water a little at a time.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

yes, underneath the door near the floor. there will be a screw on the left and a screw on the right.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Just to be safe, you should turn the power off to the unit first at the circuit breaker box.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

The reason they mention to remove it from the wall and tilt it is simply to get the water out faster.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Depending on your installation, you may have a wood trim piece in front of the panel, or a black plastic piece. Behind those will be the metal cover itself.

Customer:

Yes, we have wood trim. It's not screwed in; I think the only way to remove it will be to break it off. I think it's glued on. My husband is checking to see if he can remove it.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Yes, unfortunately some times installers don't think about the unit ever needing to be serviced.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Could be worse. I've seen people install a new tile floor or hardwood over an existing floor and block the kickplate from even being able to be removed without tearing the floor up.

Customer:

Yikes! ok, our situation isn't so bad....my husband is looking at the bottom of the machine now...stay tuned...

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

No problem.

Customer:

Ok, he has the front plate off. Where is the opening from which we should be trying to remove the water?

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

The entire dishwasher has essentially a metal belly pan on it.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

It's purpose is to contain the water before it gets on your floor.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

So it doesn't really matter where you get the water out as long as you get most of it out.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

The way that the dishwasher knows there is water in the pan is what most guys call a flood switch.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

There is a round piece of styrofoam that floats upwards when the water gets in the pans and causes it to rise. It hits a switch to tell the computer that there is water.

Customer:

Ok...will go back and take another look.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

You don't ned to worry about the switch, I am just explaining so you understand how it works.

Customer:

Ok, will go back and take another look...

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

If you stick your fingers into the pan, you will feel the water. (again, please turn the power off at the circuit breaker box first for safety)... also be aware of sharp metal edges.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

I've seen odd things happen, like a mouse gets into the pan and builds a nest which hits the float tricking it into thinking there is water when there is not...but that is really rare. I've only seen it a few times out of thousands of calls I have been on over the years.

Customer:

we have just looked again - there is no access to the belly pan as far as we can tell. It's there, but there aren't any openings into which we could insert something to remove the water. There aren't any openings at all - it's just the bottom of the dishwasher.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Did you remove the outer plastic or wood cover and the actual metal cover behind it?

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

The metal cover typically looks like this from the front-

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

http://www.espares.co.uk/datastore/ProductImages/1186475.jpg

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

and like this from the rear-

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

http://www.espares.co.uk/datastore/productimages/1186481.jpg

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Once you remove the panels for access, you should see something like this-

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

https://s3.amazonaws.com/f01.justanswer.com/JACUSTOMERp6sk4qzg/2011-09-25_164741_dscn2931.jpg

Customer:

Nope. The kickplate is correct; that's what we removed. However the picture you've sent is not at all what we see. We see a complete metal housing - there is no access whatsoever. I'm going to take a picture and see if I can send it to you.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

And there are no screws on the metal housing that you are seeing? Can you please get me the model # XXXXX the door of the unit?

Customer:

Miele dishwasher
Full Size Image

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

That is an older unit, but that cover should still remove.

Customer:

At this point, if we have to remove this additional cover, are we better off calling a service person?

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Well, your question was how to remove the water from the unit without removing it from the countertop. I was assisting you with that answer. The issue after you remove the water though would be to find out how the water got in the pan in the first place.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Trying to find the source of the leak on these machines can be pretty involved and complicated even for an experienced repair person who is at your home in front of the unit.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Most of the time, they are going to remove the unit from the wall and disassemble it to find and repair the leak.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

So yes, unfortunately for the quickest easiest way to get your machine running again, an in home service person would be the best route.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

I wish I had a better answer. These machines aren't designed to be simple. They are like having a fancy car such as a Mercedes or BMW- nice while they work but more involved to repair.

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer:

I guess not...thanks anyway....

Pitstop Appliance Repair :

Sorry for the bad news. I tried. I hope you are happy with my guidance. If so, please rate me well. Have a good night.

Experience: Knowledgeable in all brands and models of appliances with thousands of happy customers.