Rick
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience:  25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.
15929851

RA-sa

Customer Question

i have a kitchen aid dishwasher model KUDH03DTSS2. the bottom drawer works fine. However the top drawer fills but that's all. I can hear what I think is the pump turn on for a few seconds then it shuts off and repeats this again until I press cancel. Can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

repairguy :

My name is Rick. I am going to help you with your unit.

repairguy :

Does the top drawer have water in it?

Customer :

yes

Customer :

when I press the cancel button the top drawer empties the water out.

Customer :

are you there/

repairguy :

From what you are telling me the drain pump is working then, but the wash motor has locked up.

repairguy :

Do you have any experience in taking this unit apart?

Customer :

I am not sure this model even has a wash motor. It looks like it uses water pressure to turn the washer arm.

repairguy :

it is located on the underside of the drawer.

repairguy :

I am looking at a parts breakdown right now

Customer :

I have taken the cover off and there is no motor there (that I can see)

repairguy :

you should remove the basket and try taking apart the inside of the drawer. It will allow you to make sure nothing like a toothpick blocked the pump

Customer :

I have done that.

repairguy :

you would have to remove the drawer from the rails, and then turn it upside down to see the drain pump and wash motor

Customer :

Can you email me the parts diagram so I can see where the motor is located?

Customer :

It looks like I will have to disconnect the clamps for the three hoses that go to the drawer? Is that correct?

repairguy :

i can direct you to a website that will allow you to see exactly what i am. It is also the place where you would order the part from.

Customer :

Okay. Am I correct in stating that I will need to disconnect the three hoses?

repairguy :

yes you will have to disconnect the clamp not the hoses

Customer :

There are three hoses. What good would disconnecting the clamps do If I don't remove the hoses?

repairguy :

go to www.automaticappliance.com enter in your model number where asked and you will be able to exactly what we are talking about in regards XXXXX XXXXX

Customer :

Are you looking at the model I have?

repairguy :

there should be the water, the drain line the other should be the wires. once removed from the rail and the clamp holding those three to drawer, a tech would just be careful turning the drawer to get to the motor and then turn the drawer back the other way to reinstall

repairguy :

i typed in the model you entered KUDH03dtss2

Customer :

I have three hoses and three clamps no motor unless it is behind the drawer

Customer :

I have removed the washer arm and it is not attached to anything except a post. No motor.

Customer :

It appears that the washer arm is driven by water not a motor.

repairguy :

I understand you removed the wash arm and no it does not attach like what you are thinking, but i promise this unit has a wash motor. Have you gone to the website i suggested

repairguy :

I am going to move this to Q&A that way we will not have trouble with being timed out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I looked at the web site and the pump is located behind the drawer.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
That is the noise you are hearing. The motor trying to run. You can take it apart and try to find a obstructions causing the unit not to run, but from past experience I would suggest just replacing the motor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The wash motor just pumps water thru the washer arm.It does not turn the arm.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
no it does not, but if no water is pumped through the arm can not turn. it is the force of the water that keeps the spray arm in place. They copied this unit off of a Fisher Paykel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Why would there be an obstruction in the pump? All it does is pump water.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
The pump could be simply locked up without a obstruction. I can not make that judgment. If you want I can open this up to the other experts on this site. They might have a different view, but the decision is yours