The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

My garage door opener opens beautifully, but closes only after

My garage door opener opens beautifully, but closes only after a couple of tries from the local switch, and often not at all from the remotes in the car. This was not the case initially, but has become a problem over the last couple of months. I tried fiddling with the force controls, and the sensors seem to be positioned OK. Any ideas?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi, David. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

These units are known to have the antennas come loose from their solder points on the main board. If the local switch is not wired directly that is definately the problem.

If it is hard wired then check where the wires go into the board for any loose connections. Tighten as needed and that should take care of it.

If the remotes still will not open the door then use a strong magnifying glass and check the solder point that the antenna is atached to. Resolder it to the board if needed.

If that isnt the problem then the receiver cars is toast and will simply have to be replaced.

Please let me know if you need anything else right now.

If not please select a positive rating at this time. You may ask as many followup questions as you like after rating my service at no additional charge.
Thank you.

!!IMPORTANT!! Before you use the bad or poor rating, ask me why you shouldn't!!

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Smitty,

Because both the remote and hard-wired behaviours were the same, it was unlikely wiring or antenna was the issue, I felt. Having said so, I reset all the wires in the wiring board, and tested the antenna connection as you described and all was well. Although the lights on the protection system were behaving as they should, the receiving light was flickering ever-so-slightly. I adjusted the receiving light slightly (*away* from direct to the sender!) and all was suddenly OK.

This tip may help others in future, and thanks for your help.

-- XXXXX XXXXX

Thats great, David. Glad you got it fixed, and thank you for the information.

Have a great day.