Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

I have a top load GE washer that is not spinning. It fills,

Customer Question

I have a top load GE washer that is not spinning. It fills, agitates, drains, but will not spin. I can hear the motor and I see the clutch pin spinning but the belt and the clutch/pulley do not move on the spin cycle. I removed the belt, inspected it, replaced it and tightened it and the same problem occurs. I decided to replace the clutch as that nearly every forum I have seen discusses a faulty clutch to cause this problem but to my surprise and $135 later the same problem. I have started to disassemble the tub components to gain access to the transmission but have reached a stopping point at the hub nut. I need to gain possession of the spanner wrench to proceed. I am thinking at this point the only thing left to be at fault is the transmission. I'm just not sure if that is the problem, I don't want to spend $160 on a transmission spend a couple hours putting it all back together and still not have a working machine.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized GE service tech and I can help you today

Jon :

This is a common problem and can be caused by three main parts failing. First and most common is the tranny. second is the motor itself and finally is the belt or pulleys.

Jon :

so if you have already checked the belt and made sure the motor is indeed spinning in wash cycle then we can rule those two parts out. and all we are left with is the tranny.

Customer:

definitely not any chance that there is some sort of electronic malfunction either?

Jon :

and more specifically the gear case. within this tranny is a gear case. and part of that gearcase is the what would allow this machine to spinn and wash

Jon :

since you are saying the washer is spinning draining and filling properly it is not going to be a timer or electronics issue.

Jon :

but have you checked the timer?

Customer:

I just was afraid that if the washer agitated then the trans would be ok too

Customer:

no, didn't check the timer but I could I guess, how so?

Jon :

when the washer agitates it is from the motor and tranny working in a different gear so to speak then when it is in a spin cycle.

Jon :

lets back track here one second because i am 90% sure it is not a timer issue. this just isnt spinning correct? machine is fully draining? does it drain all water out before trying to spin? or will it not even try to spin?

Customer:

gotcha so if the trans is stuck in the gear that spins it wouldn't allow the belt to turn and that could be causing the clutch and belt to remain stagnate. The last time i ran it in the spin cycle for just a few seconds to observe what was going on I definitely noticed the clutch was very hot

Customer:

yes, water fully drains and then you can hear when the motor kicks in to attempt to spin

Customer:

at that point the clutch and belt pulse for a split second but then stop immediately and like i had just mentioned the clutch begins to get really hot and the motor makes a noise like it is running and I can see the clutch clip on the bottom of the clutch spinning

Jon :

ah. ok. very important what you just said. if the tranny is stuck then yes, if you tried to manually pull the belt and it would nt rotate then you know for sure the tranny is stuck. and that would most definitely cause the motor and tranny to over heat. and even cause the tranny to leak oil eventually.

Jon :

did you happen to see any signs of oil under the machine or down the center shaft of the tranny to the motor?

Jon :

yes. this is definitely the transmission at fault.

Customer:

cool, my next question was going to be if i manually pull it one direction is will go, but it is locked in the other direction. I didnt happen to see any obvious signs of oil on the base pan yet

Jon :

everything that you are saying is showing the signs that it is locking up in the spin cycle. very common.

Customer:

damn, looks like i will be spending a couple hours replacing a trans tomorrow

Jon :

ok. yup. that is the tell tale sign. if you pull belt in one direction but not back in the other then the tranny is locked up. it should be able to go in both directions on this model.

Jon :

not just yet, how old is this machine?

Customer:

5 yrs or so

Jon :

it may not be worth it for you to replace.

Jon :

oh

Jon :

ok then it may be worth it. but will be expensive. especially now that you have already replaced the clutch.

Jon :

let me check the pricing of the gear case.

Customer:

i can get the trans at a shop locally for 160, is there parts within the trans that I can check and replace for less?

Jon :

the tranny is almost $300 on this machine. and added to the $150 you have spent already. it may not be worth it for you to replace and sink that much money into a used machine at this point. it may be better to cut your loses and get a newer better machine.

Jon :

ok. if you get tranny for $160 then it has to be used one. just be careful that it is a good and reputable place.

Customer:

WH38X10002 came up as 160 at the local place? is that not what would fix it?

Jon :

and no, the parts of the tranny should only come as an assembly.

Customer:

correct, this shows as the assembly with a new tub seal, oem part, new

Jon :

yes. that is the tranny. but i have a retail price for almost $300. do you have a wholesale account?

Jon :

are you a service tech?

Customer:

no, but the website for the parts shop across town shows this part number with description for $162, definitely not a tech... lol

Customer:

i got the clutch and belt for 140 plus tax today too

Jon :

wow. if you can get it new factory original part for $160 then definitely get it there. just be sure you are getting a new part.

Jon :

that to is a good price for belt and clutch

Jon :

if you dont mind what is the name of the place you are using?

Jon :

i would like to check them out to make sure they are on the up and up if you know what I mean.

Customer:

sure it is in Raleigh, NC, but they have many stores in NC. It's called Cashwells Appliance Parts, Cashwells.com

Jon :

ok. I will check them out. thanks.

Jon :

if you can get it there please do so. also get the spanner wrench from them to if you dont already have it. you will definitely need it.

Jon :

allow your self many hours to do this and stay patient with the repair. it will be a very hard job but worth it for about $160.

Customer:

they showed that they didn't have it, I was hoping that maybe a set of channel locks might get it off

Jon :

you can always get back to me here if you need my help again and I will help you more.

Jon :

nope. channel locks wont give you the torque that is needed to get the washers and tranny off.

Jon :

infact you need to hit the spanner nut off with a sledge hammer or mallet to get the nut off this one when the wrench is on there.

Customer:

might try to see if i can "borrow" it from someone then, I will have to ask at the shop, that tool from ge is like an extra $50 i think

Jon :

you have to place the spanner nut and wrench over the nut and bang it loose.

Customer:

any chance that you think they might rent one?

Jon :

you should be able to get it cheap at ebay or amazon.

Jon :

let me check another source for you now as well. give me one minute.

Customer:

yeah, i was just hoping to get it done quickly, like tomorrow...

Jon :

i understand. let me check my sources now and see if you can get one quickly. you are in raleigh nc area?

Customer:

yes

Jon :

ok. let me see if any local places have it near you cheaper. be right back.

Customer:

no problem

Jon :

ok.

Jon :

here are the part numbers of the spanner wrench you can use. and i would check with your local appliance parts stores. they should stock it. and if they are open saturdays you should be able to get it along with the tranny. the part shouldnt be more then $20.

Jon : WX05X1325
Jon :

or

Jon :

TJ90TB123A

Customer:

wow, for $20 I would def just buy one tomorrow, now that you mention it, i think that the parts store is only open m-f...

Jon :

the last one will say for use with whirlpool or maytag washers only. but you will find if you invert or flipp the wrench over it can be used on the ge nut as well. and the last part number, the one for whirlpool is half the cost at about $12

Customer:

yep, ah well, i will definitely buy one though, seems like a much better way to get that tub nut off

Jon :

damn, if parts store is only open m-f i would definitely search for a parts store nearest you that is open sat. and if not, then you may be forced to do this monday.

Jon :

yes. definitely will need it to do the job and do it most efficiently.

Jon :

ebay has it for about $7. so if you want to buy it now online and save about $10 on parts cost for wrench then that would help. they should be able to ship it to you by monday or tuesday if order before tomorrow around noon.

Customer:

thanks so much, i really appreciate it, you were great, just needed to hear that my diagnosis was correct and now I can play repairman for the weekend. i will definitely rate this as excellent, thanks again

Jon :

otherwise just pay a bit more at parts store on monday and get it done as quick as possible.

Jon :

you are most welcome. it was my pleasure helping you.

Customer:

have a great weekend

Jon :

please also remember that after rating me positively here now with excellent rating, you can always come back here to me to ask any other questions you may have and i will answer them at no additional charge to you.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Eric,

Thank you again for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Should you have any other questions or run into any troubles while fixing this machine, please feel free to get back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again and have a great weekend and happy easter or holiday.