Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

i have a 48 inch kitchen aid hood model KWCU380JSS1 One of

Customer Question

i have a 48 inch kitchen aid hood model KWCU380JSS1 One of the fans are not working properly.. it will start to move and then stop? is there an easy fix for this
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! If you turn that fan by hand, does it feel a bit hard to turn? Is the stopping of the fan followed by a humming sound?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was easy to turn by hand. and there is a humming after the fan stops

it will start to move and then stop and then start again but only moves a little bit followed by a humming sound

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, and the other one keeps going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes the other side works fine

however i was cooking last night and it actually completely shut off (both sides as if the power was turned off) after a about 15 mins i turned the switch off and on and then it started working again

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, the motor is shared with both squirrel cages, so it would not be possible for one to shut off and not the other and have it be the motor. That means the squirrel cage on the loose side is likely broken where it attaches to the motor shaft and will need to be replaced. The correct blower for your model is pictured and available below. Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Blower Wheel <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Rating my answer "OK Service" or better is the only way I receive credit for helping you. If you need additional help or clarification, please let me know. I will work to earn your highest rating! You may refer back to this question for as long as necessary after rating, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

would that blower wheel feel loose inside the cage if it was broken?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It could or may just be "free wheeling" on the motor shaft, which is what I suspect is happening.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do you have documentation on how to take it apart and replace the wheel?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, there is not a service manual for these models. However, the blower wheel is usually easily replaced without much disassembly by removal of one outer panel or cover.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The end cap on each side of the blower wheel will come off after the screws are removed. There is not much disassembly required. Once the end cap is removed, you will have full access. The end caps are numbers 25 & 22 in the diagram below.