Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Hi...So I bought an amp probe to go with my fluke,...but I

Customer Question

Hi...So I bought an amp probe to go with my fluke,...but I don't know how to use it that well....I have a motor on a meat slicer that is getting very hot ....I want to see how many amps it is pulling...can someone guide me through this....
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! You will need to get to one of the wires that is feeding the motor or use a line splitter between the cord and outlet to attach the amp clamp to. The meter will have a setting for the clamp. Once the clamp is put on the splitter or an individual wire, you will be able to read the current draw. A line splitter is shown below, as a reference. Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Three Wire AC Line Splitter, 15A, 120 VAC

Rating my answer "OK Service" or better is the only way I receive credit for helping you. If you need additional help or clarification, please let me know. I will work to earn your highest rating! You may refer back to this question for as long as necessary after rating, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have the probe that just wraps around the wire....but there are 5 wires...blue, orange,yellow,red and white...which do I test...the motor is running smoothl;y but it is getting hot...any ideas on that?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The white is likely the neutral and should give you a reading. What current draw do you see when it is running and does it increase as it runs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I put the probe over it and I am not getting a reading on white...it just says OL...

I am mostly trying to figure out why it is getting so hot....I have an identical machine set up next to it and they both work bit one motor s getting hot.... if it is drawing too many amps it would be an indication that the motor is bad, right?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is correct. It is likely a faulty motor. You probably don't have the meter set right. Put the clamp over the white wire and select different setting until you get one that reads a number.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok...I am getting 9 amps on one machine and over 20 on the one that is getting hot.....do you think it is a bad motor even know it is still running smooth

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The speed is not variable, is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, that motor is definitely bad then and will need to be replaced.