Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

my LG microwave has stopped heating. model # XXXXX It

my LG microwave has stopped heating. model # XXXXX It isn't that old.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

How old is this unit exactly? Is it less than a year old? And does the unit still act like everything is working and sounds like everything is working, but it just won't heat?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's about 3 years old. It does act like everything is working fine.

OK perfect, thank you for that added information. If the microwave still looks and sounds like it's working, but it's just not heating--that means your magnetron has likely failed. The magnetron is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat the food and it commonly goes bad and rarely gives a warning. The part itself costs about $60 but it's not easy in the least to replace it as the entire microwave needs to come down and the outer shell removed just to gain access to replacing the magnetron. If you decide to do this repair yourself, I would encourage you to wear thick rubber gloves because the high voltage system can store up to 3000 volts even when the microwave is unplugged. Below is a link to the magnetron you'd need for your model.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Where can you find this magnetron? Will I be able to recognize it in the machine when I get the outer shell taken off?

Yes you will definitely be able to recognize it when you take the outer shell off. Just click on the link below and it has a picture of the part. It's located behind the control panel area toward the back of the microwave.

CLICK HERE to see magnetron

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So, it looks like it is 'plug n play' with maybe a few screws, correct? Would you reccommend total replacement or this part? I'm somwhat handy?

Lastly, the $30 deposit, did I sign up for a reoccuring monthly charge with your service? Because, I am not interested in that.

I wouldn't know if you signed up for the reoccuring monthly charge, you would need to contact customer service. I'm just an expert to help you with your problems.

As far as the part replacement, yes--it's all plug and play but dangerous plug and play so wear rubber gloves. If this is a repair you can do yourself, I would repair rather than replace.