Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

Kenmore elite bottom freezer refrigerator model(NNN) NNN-NNNNis

Kenmore elite bottom freezer refrigerator model(NNN) NNN-NNNNis not cold.
freezer defrosted, fridge is cool but not cold. what seems to be the problem?
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

Is the compressor running. Go behind the unit and see if the fan next to the compressor is running and see if the compressor is running and vibrating. Let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it is running and vibrating. Fan is going too.

OK now go in the freezer. Check to see if the freezer fan is running/blowing air and look if there is any frost build up on the back wall.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The freezer is defrosted. It is not getting cold at any level.

Yes, I can feel the freezer fan running.

The compressor is very warm and I cannot keep my hand on it. Is that normal?

No that is not normal are you sure the compressor is running or is it just HOT
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can feel it vibrating when I put my hand on it but it is hot. I cannot keep my hand on it

Ok, this is a bad sign....That is a sign of an obstruction in the sealed system. If something has broken off or gotten lodged in the high side or capillary tube it will cause a lot of pressure and nothing will cool. The compressor will be very hot and often the line by the compressor will be very hot to the touch. If both fans are running and this is the case, this is not something you can repair. That is a sealed system issue. You would need to call for warranty service if it is still under warranty for the sealed system.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is it worth buying a compressor?

Based on your issue I do not think it is a bad compressor. I think you have a plugged up filter drier or something in the cap tube. If the compressor was bad it would either not run and be hot or it would run but be cool not hot....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So the fridge is no longer under warranty. What do you recommend we do?

If it is not under warranty you are looking at $350-450 to replace a filter drier for a clog. If the compressor were bad...$650-750
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks, good advice.