Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years

Hi Im working on a GE front load washer. Model # XXXXX

Hi I'm working on a GE front load washer. Model # XXXXX

It stopped mid-cycle the other day and would not turn back on, even after unplugging and plugging back in.

Today, I plugged it back in, power came on, I hit drain/spin, it locked the door, unlocked the door, relocked door, drum moved 1/2 way left, 1/2 way right, drained what water was left in it from the other day and took a full 8 minutes to get into high spin.

It shows no error codes whatsoever.

What could be causing this?
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

If the drain pump is bad it will cause this problem. Once the drain pump runs through the full cycle it gets hot and starts draining to much power. This shuts the unit down until the pump has cooled. Then it will restart. I would replace the drain pump.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you sir. I was thinking a control board malfunction since no error codes present. If pump is bad why wouldnt the washer show this in an error code?

The washer will only display error codes for certain things not all faults.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Sir- I wanted to follow up with you and thank you again for your advice. Seems the pump was never cleaned and when I opened it, other than some water, there was much junk (coins, toothpicks, buttons, black gunk and a 4" X 6" piece of clothing.

Once cleaned out, we tried a cycle and its working like new. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Your welcome. Take care.