Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years

I have a ge double door model gsh25jsxbss. After coming back

I have a ge double door model gsh25jsxbss. After coming back from vacation, I noticed that the freezer is not generating enough temp to freeze food. I checked the tubes at the back of the freezer and no frost build up. I checked the compressor continuity and it reads 4.3, 6.3, & 10.5. After that I checked the two wires orange and black for voltage and it reads 118.
I don't know where else to check. Can you help me put?
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

Is the compressor running?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. Cold and vibrating
Did you remove the back panel from the inside of the freezer and see if there was any frost on the evaporator?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No frost generated
Ok you either have a freon leak or a bad compressor not pumping the freon. This will require a tech to diagnose which one is bad because he can hook up gauges and apply pressure to see if there is a leak.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I guess my idea of asking is to DIY my equipment. How much will a replacement compressor cost? Testing the leaks and freon pumping will not solve the issue.

Are there any other areas we can check?
You can look around for an oil residue and that would indicate a leak. If you dont see a residue then most likely the compressor is bad. The cost of the repair will be about 700 dollars.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No oil residue around it. Will an on and off power outage damage the compressor? We had a storm in our town and the power flickered twice within minutes of each other.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No oil residue around it. Will a power outage that flickered twice within minutes to each other damage a compressor?
Yes it could. If it was a quick power outage and the compressor tries to restart before the pressure has dropped it could damage it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If the compressor is damaged, why there is a continuity around the 3 pins when I tested them?
The compressor coils are testing good but that doesn't mean that the piston is ok.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are you sure you the compressor is bad and we dont need to check other areas like the condensor and the main pcb?
I'm sure it is the compressor. If you have 118 volts to the compressor and it is running you should have frost on the evap. If you have no frost on the evap you have a sealed system problem for sure. the only thing that could be bad with the condenser is a leak and if you dont see any signs of oil it should be ok.