Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Kenmore Model 29822800 Washer. I believe it is about

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore Model 29822800 Washer. I believe it is about 6 years old. Recently when I pulled the control knob out to start the washer, the water started flowing into the tub and the agitator started immediately. The tub was not filling up because the water was flowing out of the tub constantly. What is supposed to happen is to put the clothes in the washer and pull it on.The water fills the tub and then the agitator comes on. What is wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you!

what are the three numbers on the tag infront of the 29822800?

are you there??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you get my reply that ther were no numbers in front?

on the tag in front of the numbers you do not see a 110. ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no

ok is this a top loader washer?

and you say it fills and it flows out of the tub ,

Does it come out the drain or is it overflowing ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It does flow out of the drain

when it flows out the drain is the washer motor running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

and the timer dial is set on fill?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, that is correct. This at the start of the cycle.

ok if it is filling and also draining at the same time you have a timer issue .

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

CLICK HERE for part info

Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience: 30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your help. I will give it a try.
Michael

no problem glad to assist you .

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today
just let me know.
You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me.
Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation.
If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link
and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power
so that I can possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just finished installing the new timer tonight and it did not fix the problem. The same thing happens as before. I set the washer cycle to normal and pull the knob out to start the wash cycle. Immediately the adgitator begins and water is flowing into the tub. The tub does not fill because at the same time the water is flowing out of the tub through the drain line. I let the wash run the whole cycle. The wash cycle ran for a short time and stopped. The tub began filling with water and did cover the load being washed. Once it was full the tub immediately drained all of the water. Then the washer went to a series of spin and rinse cycles. The last thing that happened is when the spin cycle finished, some water flowed into the tub and then the cycle was completed. Any ideas?

ok lets check the drain line the end of it has to be higher then the highest water level in the tub .

if not it will siphon out .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The drain line height is ok. Nothing has changed with it since the installation several years ago.

Michael

ok when it is draining the water out as you say is the motor running ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Water is running in and the agitator is working, but I am not sure I can tell whether the motor is running. Are you talking about a separate motor that operates the drail pump?

you only have tow motors one that advances the timer and the other makes it agitate when it is run by the timer in one direction and then in the opposite directions for drain and spin .

Lets try this when it is draining does it still drain if you either lift the lid or push the timer know in .

Because only two things will make is drain at the wrong time #1 the timer (which you just replaced) or the drain line to low in the wall standpipe .

( and as the unit washes /spins the tub can viberate which can cause the drain line to move after 7 years of operation .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I started a new cycle and tried to determine what happens when I pushed the timer knob in. There was not enough water in the tub for it to drain. I decided to get a bucket fill it with water and empty it into the washer tub. I put about 3 gallons in the tub. To my surprise the water stayed in the tub. I closed the lid and and pulled the knob out and the wash cycle continued. I opened the lid a couple of minutes later and the and the water was still in the tub. I closed the lid and the wash cycle continued. At intervals I could hear more water coming into the tub. I lifted the drain line up out of the wall tube to see if any water was being discharged but it was not. No water was being discharged during the wash cycle. Water kept coming into the tub and it filled up almost to the top of the tub so that I thought it might overflow. The end of the wash cycle came and the water discharged. Then the washer went into rinse and spin. Once again after the spin cycle ended some water flowed into the tub and the machine cut off leaving the laundry wet.

Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there any more help you can give me.

Michael

ok so by raising the drain line the water does not flow right out as it is filling .

And lets run another load and see if it drains and how the clothes come out ,but with out opening the lid till the wash is done .and see what it does?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Changing the level of the drain line had no effect on whether the water drained out of the tub or not. When water was coming out of the drain line it was being forced with a good bit of pressure. I only lifted the hose to see if and when water was coming out. I discovered that water was not draining out at the beginning of the cycle because very little water was actually coming into the tub. I cannot understand why the agitator starts up immediately at the beginning of the cycle. It seems to me that the washer "thinks" the tub is full when there is no water present in the tub. Could it be a sensor problem?

Michael

ok does the unit no longer drain as soon as it starts as you satated before or was that just no the issue ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
The appliance is not yet fixed. The first part change did not solve the problem
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today, I see you re listed this. on these machines when it agitates while its filling its the Pressure Switch W10292584, you will need to order and replace this switch. I can understand how the other tech thought it was the timer these are very confusing problems and some of these machines don't have this particular switch but your does. heres a link to the switch. hope this helps, thanks , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX like have been going around in circles.

Michael Lassiter

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
no problem, hope everything works out for you, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I Installed the new switch today and the washer works like a charm.

Thanks for your help.

Michael

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your very welcome, sorry you went through all that, have a great day, Bryan