Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

GE Washer, model GTWN4950L0WS Lights turn on when I turn the

GE Washer, model GTWN4950L0WS
Lights turn on when I turn the knobs to select type of wash cycle, but start button does nothing. Tried unplugging/plugging back in. Tried pressing start button. Tried holding start button for 5-7 seconds. What else can I try/check?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

try a motor reset. click the link below and follow the instructions. its a video. let me know if that works. thanks , Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just tried resetting the motor twice and it did not resolve the issue. The washer does not even start filling with water. The start button just does nothing. No water, no clicks.

okay you will need to remove the front panel. there are two clips about 4 inches in from each side between the top and the front panel. take a putty knife and push those clips up. (slide the knife under them) pull out at the top of the front panel and it will come out. lift it off the bottom clips and set it aside, let me know when you have it off.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think i've identified where the clips are, but i'm having trouble pushing them up. should i be coming at them from the front? any other tips on how to get the front panel off?

yes straight in , try to slip the putty knife in under the clips, these are tough to do.I need you to check the motor diagnostics when you get the front off.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok; front panel is off. how do i check the motor diagnostics, and is there anything else i should be looking for?

on the top of the motor there is a red or green light.(led) what is it doing ? blinking? slow ,fast,? can you count the blinks ? it blinks and then repeats giving us an error code.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is a red light that is blinking steadily - about 1 second on, about 1 second off

okay thats a normal standby mode. does the start button on the control feel any different than usual? like it may be sinking in more than before when you press it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the start button doesn't feel any different; i can still feel the internal click when i press the start button in.

okay unfortunately thats bad news then. your control board has failed. Main Control Board WH12X10475 Main Product View you need to order and re[place the control. its pretty simple to replace. remove the screws along the top of the control panel and flip it down. you can order this @ for around $90.00. they have a full money back guaranty even if it doesn't fix your issue, I'm sure it will though , thanks and best wishes. Bryan